Old 08 January 2002, 06:57 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My original post was this....

Not good to have a small exit hole then

LOL

Be interested in finding out if this is the cause of your problem, can't see why it would have suddenly dropped in performance though because of this

Thanks for the mail Neil, I think I know what you mean...has anyone got a picture of what an actuator rod is?

John

Somehow its got posted as username jonny I've never registered as jonny before and I wasn't even on Scoobynet when jonny's account was created

Wouldn't let me post as me again as it said flood control was on, so I deleted the scoobynet cookie restarted IE and now it works....freaky or what

[Edited by mega_stream - 8/1/2002 6:58:19 PM]
Old 08 February 2002, 12:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John has a "Tek2.5" (don't know who came up with that) which is a Tek2 map that John has "tweaked" whilst mapping other cars. Runs more boost, better fuelling, etc. - just a very good map from an accumulation of knowledge that works very well on all MY99/MY00 cars.

The Tek1 and Tek2 are off-the-shelf standard maps that should work on all MY99/MY00 cars. Just a plug'n'play job. If you want to enhance the car any further e.g. add a bit more fuel here or increse boost there, then it's a Tek3.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 8/2/2002 12:31:19 PM]
Old 31 July 2002, 08:18 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Having tried a PPP ecu I'm now looking at going the Tek2 route.

I'm after honest views from people that have had this upgrade done, mainly is the increase immediate and a signifcant improvement? Only mods to my car are full decat and HKS Hiper, Sti5/6 Intercooler.

Any dyno plots or results would also be nice

Cheers

John

Jeepers my spelling's bad

[Edited by mega_stream - 7/31/2002 8:19:33 PM]
Old 31 July 2002, 09:58 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Still open verdict on mine mega stream, you know from previous threads(i think). initially wicked improvement although i did not have ppp, then it suddenly dropped off. still trying to resolve.

merv at PE is always doing dyno runs so cant get him on the phone, and i am often in meetings so its easier for me to call him.

will let you know how the next step goes
Old 31 July 2002, 10:12 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've not got the PPP ecu, still got the standard AE801.

Sorry to hear you've still not got your problem sorted

Old 31 July 2002, 10:16 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

mine was the ae802 one. sorry missed the "tried" bit out of your post

the initial improvement was amazing!!!

just dont know whats happened since.
Old 31 July 2002, 10:19 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hiya mate!!!

I'm sure you remember I've got a TEK2.5 From the Open Day....
I'm pretty happy with it and its far better than the Dawes I used to have. I have, however, had an issue with it too (and I know another friend who seems to have the same issue I had) - I now think I know the cure and have mailed EcuTek and Steve Done to see what they think. Will not go into it on line until I've got intouch with them but feel free to email me and I'll let you know my thoughts

P20SPD - mail me - I can probably get your car sorted mate Not promising anything but could work for you, if it does, its more proof of what I'm thinking Sorry for the cloak and dagger but I don't want to shout my mouth off until I've spoken to them.........

Cheers
Neil

P.S - Its not a product fault (don't want people thinking the product is bad - its not!!), the TEK2 ECU is fine, but some cars may need further fettling

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 8/1/2002 10:47:00 AM]

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2002, 10:27 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

scoobyjawa yhm
Old 31 July 2002, 10:34 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Not yet Watching Bond (how sad!!)

Will reply in a bit - can you also give me an overview of what mods, initial TEK upgrade and what seems to be happening now?
Old 01 August 2002, 01:21 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

ppp ecu v tek2 is fairly small.on boost they seem very similar,off boost tek2 is slightly stronger.

I now have a tek3 with a fairly conservative map as I do quite a few track days and a my99+dawes could well be faster on warmer days.I still think the ecutek is the best I have used so far for performance and safety.john banks has checked my car a few times both on road and track and there is always very little,if any knock correction.I have a knocklink and saw "big red" on track a few times with the my99ecu+dawes(thought it was gearchanges) but since going ecutek I have not seen red again.

if your problem is lower than wanted boost,I think it is the time of year.just wait until the cold air is back.this was the main reason I dumped the dawes+my99 ecu,in the warmer weather I wanted an added safety margin,it's also the reason my car has lost 2psi recently and feels tame,altough off boost it still feels very good .

Old 01 August 2002, 01:42 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Smile

found the thread I did when I got the maps done.been a while since I was at almost 17psi.

www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=101718
Old 01 August 2002, 08:32 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info T-uk, Neil YHM

John
Old 01 August 2002, 08:36 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Neil YHM
Old 01 August 2002, 09:16 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Is the Tek or Dawes better for mid range punch and pull? Much in it?

Is the only real benefit with the Tek the saftey angle?

Richard.
Old 01 August 2002, 10:06 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

the dawes only changes the boost so low revs stay the same,higher up the tek ecu's pull cleaner and better nearer to the rev limiter.

the dawes does I recall give a larger kick as low down off boost stays the same and then bang,full boost and big smiles where as the ecutek is stronger low down and smoother coming on boost,you really need to watch the rev counter rather than the boost gauge.

this is how I would describe the ecu set-up's I have tried.note these figures are MADE UP as I do not really bother with rolling road figures.this is what the difference between each felt like by seat of pants.

on my car:
my00 210bhp,with dawes@16psi 240bhp-cr4p pre dawes,good mid range after dawes.
my99 225bhp,with dawes@16psi 245bhp-good off boost PPP+ performance after dawes
ppp 240bhp,with dawes@18psi 260bhp-similar off boost to my99 and flew with dawes.intakes got high on track @18psi,had to lower to 16.5/17psi.
tek2 slightly stronger lower down and higher up than ppp without dawes.
tek3 conservative map for track days,slightly stronger lower down and higher up than tek2.

edit as I just had a shot of a m8's my00(same mods as mine)with dawes@16/17psi and it did feel better than I remembered.

[Edited by T-uk - 8/3/2002 6:27:23 PM]
Old 01 August 2002, 10:21 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks T-Uk Very useful.

I'm currently running a Dawes - running 16.5 PSI on a MY99. Performance is great - though it does seem to run out of steam further up the rev range.

I'm going to get a Tek3 from John later this month - I've not seen the peak PSI drop at all with the Dawes over the hot weather - and it's appealing to have the ecu look after the engine safely.

It's also appealing to know that I can have the map tweaked in the future when I put more mods on the car.

Richard.
Old 01 August 2002, 10:57 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

you really need to watch the rev counter rather than the boost gauge
I can second John's statement. Bounced off the rev limiter twice when testing a Tek3 from John Banks

With the std MY99 ECU you really notice the power trail off towards the rev counter, but with the Tek3 you don't and it's easy to hit the limit if your not paying attention.

I'd still prefer to look where I'm going though

Stefan
Old 01 August 2002, 10:59 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

YHM guys

For mid range there is not much in it but a friend and I with almost identical cars did a little test.

(MY99 and MY00 - full decat and dawes)

Both Dawes and identical performance we went on a dual carriageway and in 3rd at 1.5k revs put our foot down. There was nothing in it right up to the limiter. I then had a TEK2 done and we tried again. Due to the much better torque off boost (and I think just as quick spool up as with the Dawes) I pulled about a car length in front, however the TEK ran out of steam higher up and the dawes held boost longer so by the time we hit the limiter we were equal again.

The TEK2 is a much nicer drive - less gear changing needed due to the better off boost performance, although there wasn't much in it. Hence why I've had the boost slightly increased and held a bit longer - now I've got the car sorted its flying!!!

Guesstimate at something like 270-275bhp and 260-265lb/ft.
Having spoken to Merv will hopefully get it back to PE and on the dyno to check its safe and sorted in the next week or two - will let you know the results........
Old 01 August 2002, 11:38 AM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Sounds good
Old 01 August 2002, 11:43 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

morning md, whats the weather like down their? cr4p up here

scoobyjawa YHM
Old 01 August 2002, 12:20 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I've been reading all the stuff on here about TEk2 and am now just about to go for it. Is a boost guage a must have for the use of the ECU for monitoring purposes ?. Intercooler hoses will be done soon but I haven't seen a clean install of a boost guage I like yet
Old 01 August 2002, 12:28 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

it reassures me, although i dont know why.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:32 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

A boost gauge is always good to have - though might be less of an issue when you have a Tek. No option when a Dawes is involved.

Rich.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:35 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

boost gauge is useful to check you are reaching the desired boost and so you can see if/when it changes.

I've got a defi (IMHO the pooches parts ) in a scoobymania A pillar pod
Old 01 August 2002, 01:09 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I'd suggest boost gauge is minimum once you start modifying your car. Best is to include lambda/knock monitoring (and EGT's if you're going to push v.close to the edge).

Also note - the Dawes is very good, but when/if something goes wrong you're on your own with regards to safety. The ecu has no control over the boost and can only resort to fuel-cut. In this scenario the above really is necessary imho.

The tek2 drops boost at higher revs to keeps things safe, something the Dawes isn't capable of (the tail-off you see with the td04 is caused by it breaching it's optimum flow (flogging iteself to death, basically ). I should add that I ran my td04 like this for some considerably time with no damage...but I was monitoring knock/lambda + occasional use of D.Dash for detailled info.

Richard
Old 01 August 2002, 05:13 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Are most of the Tek's people talk about now are the 2.5x ones that John has worked on? Will that become the standard 2 variant?
Old 01 August 2002, 05:52 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I have spoken with mervyn at PE and he thinks it could be the blitz induction kit. apperantly some of the newwer ones have a smaller exit hole from the filter than the input hole on the maf housing!

I am going to have a look at this tonight and probably tighten the actuator half a turn. just could not be arsed to take the heatshield off again, thats why i have not done it yet.
Old 01 August 2002, 06:27 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

P20SPD, sorry I havnt replied earlier...been out in the garden in the sun Now, what was the question ?

Oh yes, its sunny and me lillies are out

Good luck with the obvious m8.

Regards, MD.
Old 01 August 2002, 06:55 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

How the heck did that happen?
Old 01 August 2002, 06:56 PM
jonny
Scooby Newbie