Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Max safe boost on Sti7 (EBC) on 102RON ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2002, 08:11 PM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Want to know when timing is pulled back when boosting above standard using 102ron racing fuel and an electronic boost controller . Also am wondering about high rev held boost as these controller do . Am probably going to hold 1.2 odd to red line if turbo can manage , no ecu or fueling adjustments apart from what the ecu will do . I want to avoid to much timing pull back that will make the car feel lazy off boost .

Thanks

Ray
Old 02 October 2002, 08:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something like Delta Dash would be handy for looking at what the timing is actually doing.

Even with uprated turbo and FMIC I cannot run standard full load timing when I run 6 PSI over standard across the range.

Consider dropping 1 degree for each PSI boost increase, and also note that the charge temp will also increase unless you improve the intercooling or turbo, so you could be dropping 1.5 or more degrees per PSI increase. This is very approximate - ideally you would change the base map so that it is running plenty of positive knock correction across the range. The spare knock correction is for safety margin, not ideally for just whacking the boost up.

Also consider if water injection has a role, depending on how harsh your climate is. But also consider appropriate failsafes - if the water stops your timing may be very inappropriate.

Knocklink is a good idea too.