Big thanks to Wee Banks... MAF calibration

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 09:05 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Agree with all the above.

John Banks mapped my car and did the MAF calibration for the APS kit which I have on my car and it now works brilliantly. He is a great tuner and the Ecutek stuff is top class.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

PS John, when are you coming to Greece again?

[Edited by WREXY - 10/7/2002 9:06:22 PM]
Old 10 July 2002, 10:04 PM
Ederijke
Scooby Regular

Question

Why is the MAF sensor influenced by the use of a APS cold air intake ?

OK, I found the thread (don't search on APS, use intake)

[Edited by Ederijke - 10/7/2002 10:44:36 PM]
Old 10 July 2002, 10:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob Rawle was talking about flow testing it to see, but I don't believe he got around to doing it yet. Some suggested it might need some lips inside the pipework to change the airflow characteristics to give more realistic readings. Bob reckons the flow is turbulent not laminar because of jitteriness in the readings. Until it is flow tested I believe we are guessing on why it underreads.

APS said that on unmodified Australian models there is no issue with detonation from excessive leanness or advanced timing and they ended up with about 11.5:1 AFR. They say that it is leaner because it flows so much better, and if you don't remove the honeycomb mesh from the MAF it is fine (but not on STi/P1 as they haven't tested it). Because I was not using a wideband they were not very enthusiastic about the quality of my calibration data, perhaps understandably - I don't have the facilities just wanted to make it "work". I will have a wideband soon though. There are other induction kits that flow well but that do not drop the MAF voltage as much though (K&N 57i) but would not fit around Theo's or my FMICs. APS acknowledge at least a lean spot coming onto boost. In Australia their products are all installed by tuning shops who are aware of the issues, whereas us lot tend to DIY more.

I corrected it so it hit full load areas of the map when it was on full load rather than only getting part way across (ie part throttle areas) when really running full load. Some extrapolation sorted out the part throttle areas nicely - I could tell they were about right again as the air fuel closed loop lambda correction went from grossly positive to around zero average once recalibrated.

Later I tried the approach of rewriting the whole fuel map and leaving the MAF calibration alone, but the results were nowhere near as good with inconsistent fuelling and it would have taken ages to correct every zone, and would be very difficult with a narrowband lambda sensor and no rolling road for hours on end. I just took a pragmatic approach.

[Edited by john banks - 10/7/2002 10:34:24 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 07:48 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Will be short... had car remapped today via Ecutek, and John Banks was so kind to send us a calibration map for the MAF sensor.

Long story short, the calibration of the MAF sensor to work with the APS CAI worked first class, and put the load sites where you would expect them to be.

You all know how "cocky" tuners can be, but Mark Verhoeven (EMS) was impressed with his work, and it saved us a *lot* of time.

So big thanks John and also mucho respect for Stephen Done for figuring all this JECS stuff out. I've seen the software up close and asked about a 1000 questions about it, and the more I heard the more I realized just how much work has gone into this EcuTek thingy Brilliant work (and I don't use that term lightly).

Sure, it's commercial now etc..., but as a nerd I'm very impressed.

Oh, and car goes quite well now
Old 07 October 2002, 10:40 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stephen Done took me out in the 02 demo car on saturday, I had a play with delta-ecu and so on, which they have added wideband capture to using a PCMCIA DAQ card and a Motec sensor. Sensor wasn't in the car at the time, but Merv did suck at least a further 20hp from stephens car using the WB lambda.

There are other options than motec for the wideband, for about 1/2 the price. Mine was a DIY version, sensor from www.thepartsbin.com all in it cost me about £190 (for everything).

Paul
Old 07 October 2002, 10:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going for this Oz wideband. Looks like the same one Paul? Does the lambda sensor from thepartsbin screw in to replace the original? Do they tend to be a standard size?

http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm

C5010-75044 from http://catalog.thepartsbin.com/

Not bad for about £285 all in delivered with display and RS232 output. Just hoping the sensor screws into the OEM position for intermittent use.
Old 08 October 2002, 01:11 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

I don't know why you praise John so much, he couldn't sort my bowel problem out

I hope your bathroom wasn't too messy afterwards John.....

F
(engine oily hands!)
Old 08 October 2002, 01:20 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Floyd,

Lol, I pissed myself when I read that

Very happy with the work done on my car, by John

Cheers Phill C
Old 08 October 2002, 01:22 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes that's the one I have John.

As far as logging with DD, it spits out some serial data, and you can buy a USB-serial converter to give a laptop a second serial port. Or you could use the pcmcia daq card to log the voltage, or use a video recorder pointed at the laptop and AFR readout.

Paul