hydrogen sulphide "rotten eggs"

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2002, 06:20 PM
Stully
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Got a big problem!!!

after driving for some 15-20 minutes I start to get a very strong Hydrogen Sulphide "rotten eggs" smell coming through the vent system. After closing the vent to re-cycle and then switching off the fan the smell is still there and can get very strong.

What has happened any help please. I have just filled up with Shell's Ultimax and I'm not sure if this could be it, but I've been using this fuel for months and no problems.

I found on a web search that possibly the OXYGEN SENSOR may need to be replaced to correct a fuel injection mixture problem any ideas from anyone.

Has your scooby ever suffered from this complaint and what was the solution!

Has the Cat cracked and is leaking gas!!!

The engine idles fine no problems with power loss.

Any help would be appreciated as the car is undrivable as you need to wear a gas mask to go any where.

cheers,
Old 07 December 2002, 08:20 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

Solution......decat
Old 07 December 2002, 08:44 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Dint this used to be due to the cat not being cycled enough times. Does your mrs drive the car ? does it get enough of a ragging ? take it out for a few good blasts....Have you tried that ?
Old 07 December 2002, 08:46 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

its the catalytic converter for sure. i crashed a hire car recenetly, after some, er... enthusiastic driving (they gave me a bloody cinquecento for god sake) and the aa man that came to get me (thats automobile ascociation not alcoholics anonymous) said that the resultant prang had crushed the cat and thats what caused the smell of rotten eggs. which was a relief, cos i thought it was fear induced, if you know what i mean. you could buy a decat pipe, or you could just drop the pipe off knock all the honeycomb stuff out of the inside and put it back on. hey presto, pong free more powerful motoring, at no extra cost. problem solved.

good luck bud.

matt.
Old 07 December 2002, 08:52 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Question

Matt? Does that somewhat crude method of decatting actually work?
Old 07 December 2002, 09:05 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Crude? moi? last time i heard that i was in court!!

it definitley works, its currently working on my car, all my mates scoob's and every car ive ever had. as an engineer i can tell ya that the restriction in flow that the empty chamber creates (as apposed to a straight through custom made pipe) is miniscule compared to the increased flow the knocking out of the entrails of the cat creates, and in fact in testing, we found the difference betweeen custom mades and home-mades to be negligible. the downside is of course that when you want to/ have to put the cat back on for whatever reason you wont have one, whereas a cat replacement pipe leaves you with a 'spare'. my 94 wrx full decat and removed middle resonator box too passes the mot on emmisions every year so i dunno why youd want a spare, but some people like to have that security blanket.

go get a chisel and a hammer and smash yourself some free horsepower. you'll thank me for it later. Of course, the whole world and his dog will now spend the rest of the night picking in holes in this theory and telling me im wrong and a dumbass (which i cant argue against), but i know from first hand experience over the past ten years and careful experimentation that it A) works brilliantly and B) causes no problems whatsoever.
Old 07 December 2002, 09:05 PM
powerman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stully
Try and give it a good thrashing and you might solve the problem,mine does the same after the mrs has done a lot of very short journeys to work.More noticable after the thrashing but clears back to normal afterwards.
powerman.....
Old 07 December 2002, 09:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds good mate Of course I'd be hammering away at thin air as I already have a decat but your tale will make interesting reading for others that can't afford custom pipe work.