Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Kaaz Limited Slip Front Differential Maintenance and overall review??

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2002, 08:18 AM
Hndatch627
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm a cross over user from www.impreza.net or www.nasioc.com(the former I-Club) and was curious what kind of maintenance the Kaaz Front LSD requires(if any, was told by a fellow technician that they constantly need ti be overhauled). Also was looking for a review as a daily driver, this would be a on car that gets driven constantly, if the lockup harsh(i.e.: impending understeer) or it it's fairly progressive?? A friend has an oppurtunity to pick one up for his USDM WRX(exploded 1st gear making 311 WHP on our 93 octane gasoline, makes 363 WHP on C16[116 octane Aviation Fuel]) and he was curious what he'd be in for. the car is a drag raced car but also will see a road course or 2 dependant on how much the driveline kills him money wise this year. Any of the input from the pro's is MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

jeremy
HndaTch627 @ NASIOC.com
Old 18 December 2002, 07:32 PM
Hndatch627
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 19 December 2002, 12:12 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Hi
I'm no pro but I had a kaaz LSD on my 94 wrx.
It deffinately handled better (i'm back to standard now) just kept turning!
It was put in my car in Japan and the previous owner had it two years with no maintenance.
It was set to quite a harsh lock and was a noisey s*d when moving slowly and turning which is why I removed it. It also pulls the steering wheel when slow turning. It was more embarrising than anything, people always looking at you like your car was about to fall to bits
James
Old 19 December 2002, 07:55 AM
Hndatch627
Scooby Regular

sounds good james, i am just worried about the impending understeer due to have 311 WHP on street gas at the touch of a pedal, as we all know the GDA/GDB have no problem understeering, last thing they need is any kind of help I will relay the information to my friend. It sounds like to me(talked to a local with a Kaaz rear) that he biggest downside are their harsh noise and harsh lockup.

Cheers

jeremy
Old 19 December 2002, 11:05 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah I'd say that was the only downside, but saying that when I took my diff out it was set to a the highest lock. I emailed Ray Kaaz and he sent me the instructions to rebuild the diff to a more 'street friendly' setting, I had sold the diff before it came out but I had a play with it and it was quite easy to set to a lower locking level, it's just a case of re-arranging the plates in the diff.

Mine was really harsh but I think if your friend had it set to 60% lock it would be fine.

I would have left mine in but I was having a new clutch and billet flywheel and thought I'd get it changed while the box was off. The only reason I changed it was coz I have to drive through lots of turns and junctions on my way to work and it was annoying me.

James
Old 20 December 2002, 07:17 AM
Hndatch627
Scooby Regular

great info James

I really appreciate your input.

Jeremy