Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

exhaust manifold and down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2002, 05:30 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

i have a 99 uk ppp scoob if i fit a performance complete manifold and downpipe without cat and maybe take the centre cat out [i have the rear prodrive silencer] what will this do for;
+ my fuel economy
+ my driveability around town
+ will it stress the engine more[reliability]
+ and will it overboost -will i need to adjust or tweek the tubo to cope.the key thing for me is value for money tweek with reliability.cheers
Old 22 December 2002, 09:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I haven't done this yet.. just been reading on here and talking with people etc.. and researching really..

But basically forget the manifiold.. standard one is up to it..
switch the downpipe and centre pipe to a 2.5inch systems like the Scoobysport.. or Magnex.. or similar, you want open neck or twin dump downpipe.. 2.5 will mate with your backbox.. 3inch will not..
Centre pipe you have a choice with the magnex with a resonator or without (loud without, quieter with) or the Scoobysport has a resonator..

Fuel economy if you can be restrained with the throttle should be the same or imporved.. it is just difficult not to use the power when you have it where it will then drink more fuel..
Drivability around town should be better as the turbo will spin up sooner although that will cost you on fuel..

Reliability shouldn't be worse unless you hammer it imho as the engine will be breathing better so have to do less work to produce the same power.. but when you floor it you will stress it more with the extra power..

Shouldn't have any issues with overboost on a standard or PPP'd car just by decatting it.. assuming you are running standard boost.. although there exceptions but should be fine..

Try the Scoobyshop for new exhausts or the For sale forum for secondhand ones.. also try and search facility should give more info..

Enjoy..

JGM

Old 23 December 2002, 05:19 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

very informative reply jgm cheers and meery xmas!!!