Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Safe Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2002, 05:32 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

As my little WRX MY02 is sort of run in now - 2700miles, I was considering a mod to the exhaust system, ie a new back box and centre de-cat (either Scoobysport or TSL). The MAF sensor threads have made me remove the ITG filter from my list!

I have read a number of threads talking about det, engines blowing, MAF sensors failing etc.. and am now wanting some level of re-assurance as to what is "safe modding". I am also interested in the PSi3 in dash display and have asked Simon J(PCB) about displaying "knock adjustment"

Can some of you technical experts advise.

Thanks
Nigeyboy
Old 23 December 2002, 01:08 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ther is nothing wrong with modding your car. It can still be relaible if certain mods are carried out correctly. The beat way to attack it is by changing the stock ecu or mapping the std one. If you go for a TEK upgrade which re-mapps your std ecu you can take advantages of an exhaust system, de-cat pipe, front mount intercooeler etc etc by adjusting fueling, ignition advance and other factors. Induction kits are still iffy if yyou retain the std ecu as it retains the air flow meter. Ifyou do however go for a LINK, Motec or Gems ecu (more costly) you will no longer require the air flow meter so you can introduce an induction kit without being paranoid.
Its only when you go for big turbos, injectors etc you have to worry about internals which might not be up to scratch. Saying that some people on the board had 210bhp uk and had them modified up to 300bhp on std internals and some cars on even more power. The choice is yours.

Gez