Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tubo noise that has fixed itself ????

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2002, 05:33 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(MY99, 36000 miles, Scoobysport DP & BB)

I recently went to the Oulton Park trackday on the 17th Dec, and mid afternoon I was aware of a significant drop in power (maybe 30-50bhp). In the paddock we could hear a noise from the turbo which sounded as if a blade (or blades) were touching something (maybe the turbo housing or maybe some debris). Our best guess was that a worn bearing on the shaft (don't know what sort of bearing this is) had allowed the tips of the blades on one side of the turbo to just touch the casing. So end of track day

I then had to dive slowly(ish) back up the M6 to the North East. I was initially aware of the noise and lack of power, but after an hour or two, the noise seemed to have faded and power seemed normal, so much so that I took the Alston road home ( for those who know it)

My best guess is that the noise has stopped because the blades have cut a groove in the casing (or have worn down at the tips, depending on which is harder).This could of course be complete cr@p. Anyone ever heard or experienced any similar noise?

The car seems fine now and a new tubo is £1145 from a dealer .I'm sure a recon one is cheaper, but do I need one?

What should I do now????

Can anyone please, please advise. What happens if the turbo goes bang? Could this just be something stuck to a blade which has now got blown out? What does a warn bearing sound like anyway? etc...

All advise much appreciated...

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Jules

Old 23 December 2002, 07:54 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

My turbo recently made a noise similar to that after hitting 1.6 bar overboost turns out the wastegate was knackered and not closing properly causing it to rotate and rub against the housing. Result, new turbo, but the old one can be recon'd. Definately get a recon if you can bear the car being off the road and you do need a new turbo - its vastly cheaper. I got a new turbo fortunately from a mate, which meant car on the road again sooner.

I'd advise you to get someone to have a look at it, just in case. If it is the blades they can break and end up back in your engine which is a very bad thing.
Old 24 December 2002, 04:37 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Thanks ScoobyJawa, these track days never cost exactly what it says on the tin . Did your noise go away after a while? I'm not sure the wastegate could spin to make this kind of whirring noise (Imagine just touching the blades of one of those little hand held fans onto something metal, it was that kind of noise)

If anyone has seen inside a turbo, can you estimate how far the blades would have to move to touch something? Does this sound possible?
Old 24 December 2002, 06:00 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

The noise went the following morning, but I was very careful driving and used hardly any boost at all. I tried boost at lunchtime to see if it was ok and it was all over the place and the noise came back. It stayed then. I had the car recovered and the turbo changed. I've just had a look at my old one and the fins would not have to move very far at all to rub on the housing - we're talking .5mm that sort of distance

TBH though - thats exactly how I would have described the noise my wastegate was making! I have a twin dump downpipe to and it was reverbing the noise from the small wastegate pipe!
The wastegate itself had come lose so it could spin, and wasn't shutting fully against the turbo causing it to turn as the gases came out and creating a metalic oscillating/scraping/rattling noise.

Yes it is possible for the turbo shaft to get damaged and cause the fins to rub on the housing. As I said, if this is happening then the fins could break and end up in the engine

I really would advise you to get it checked out chap.

Good luck