Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

is the lambda working ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 11:32 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Just a thread for my own piece of mind.Just read a reply from JBanks to someone showing a list of lambda threads,read one of them from Tone loc i think it was showing his lambda had gone and the signs to look for.
I seem in some cases to have some of them.The only one i havent got is that he said his lambda link was stationary and not registering back and forth as it should which,mine registers ok.
1-bad fuel consumption he said to be noted.Of late my consumption has gone down a fair bit but i put this down to Blitz vta,Dawes boost controller and cold weather all being added to the car at around the same time.
2-The other thing i compared to what he said was that he said a noticable petrol smell at idle.I dont get a true petrol fuel smell like at the pumps,i get more of a sweet vapour smell bit of a cross between octane booster(which im using)and the kind of smell of airplane vapours and this is only when you gat to a junction and as if the wind has blown it from behind not from the engine area.
I know that sounded a bit jumbled but hard to explain,apart from that the lambda link seems to work fine,in fact i thought it was faulty as it flicks back and forth like night rider lights when ive been used to the digital read out kind that are less annoying.
Thanks in advance,
Gene
Old 10 January 2003, 11:39 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

All sound fine to me Gene. I recently fitted a Forge VTA and anyone who says it doesn't affect the fuel is lying

I get 280 miles from a full tank of optimax, now get a lot less. I need to work it out on a full tank, but I know it has dropped. I started suspecting either the lambda or MAF as I didn't think the fuel drop would be that much. Both seem fine. I have an Autometer AFR, and its behavious hasn't changed. Not sure how long I will keep the DV for though. It works out at roughly a few hundred quid on fuel per year. Expensive mod.

MB
Old 10 January 2003, 12:13 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark,
Kinda knew the dump valve would alter it as hasd spoken to a guy with P1 who suffered awful consumption when he fitted one,but will rest a bit better knowing all seems well.God knows how you get that kind of consuption out of yours though,dont think mine would match up to that!!!
Will have to see if it improves when the warm weather comes again.G
Gene
Old 10 January 2003, 12:27 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmm..... i haven't noticed an increase in fuel consumption fitting a VTA and i can't see why it would. The fuel is based on the MAF... i.e the amount of air entering the inlet. This doesn't change. The car does run rich when you lift off because the ecu thinks there is more air than there actually is because it has dumped some to atmosphere...... so it's rich cos there is less air NOT more fuel.

I'd say when you fit a dump value you notice your fuel consumption goes up beacuse you're driving the car harder to make the dump valve wooooosh.... i know i did. Also if you've fitted a dawes your fuel consumption will go up..... probably again more to do with the car being driven harder to take advantage of the upgrade.

Maybe im wrong.... i'd like to know why tho .

Regarding the lambda..... mine has definately gone. I was told in a thread that when the lambda is gone it will not give a reading. This is not entirely true. It could end up giving no reading but it could also get sluggish (i.e instead of flicking about it slowly moves about the display), it can also get stuck at certain voltages and then slowly degrade down the scale. If yours is doing the 'knight rider' thing i wouldn't really worry.

Tony.
Old 10 January 2003, 12:38 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Cheers hopefully al is well then, Tone if yours has gone completely
what differences do you notice when driving the car,if you never had the Lambda link to work from?
Gene
Old 10 January 2003, 12:58 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

When i said it's gone i mean it needs replacing.... it still gives readings (although not the ones i want ). The only really difference at the moment is a bit of an erratic idle... nothing major tho.

Tony.

P.s nobody say it could be the MAF.... it isn't. I've checked.