Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

lubrication....

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 10:38 AM
hakunamatata
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all,
i have just bought an STi7 (jap car) and was wondering what oil to use for topping up? Can anyone explain what the numbers represent i.e 10w40 or 10w50? If 10w50 is recommended and i use 10w40 will something go pop?
Thanks for all your help
Old 05 March 2003, 01:21 PM
hakunamatata
Scooby Newbie

anybody?
Old 05 March 2003, 01:22 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Engine oil is what is known as a multigrade oil. That is to say, under certain circumstances it behaves like two different grades of oil. (This is the best way I can think to describe it, not knowing how much you know...)

Now, the two numbers represent this "2 oils as one" behaviour. The first number represents the oil's viscosity performance when cold, and the second represents the oil's behaviour when hot. (Or it may be vice versa - it's been a while....) Typically for this country (UK) you need 10W40, but essentially, it want's the same oil as the equivalent UK model, so just as a UK owner for an answer, or ring Subaru and ask about the similar UK model ?
Old 05 March 2003, 01:32 PM
hakunamatata
Scooby Newbie

Thanks.
asking any UK owners...what do you use . can you "mix" different makes e.g if i use castrol 10w40 once and then use mobil 10w40 will this be a problem?
Old 05 March 2003, 04:42 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Oil mixing isn't a problem, but use quality stuff. When was it last serviced? It may be worthwhile getting someone to put fresh oil & filter in just for peace of mind.

Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W50 (from Halfords) seems to be a popular choice, and it's probably the easiest to get hold of.
Old 05 March 2003, 06:12 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the car new? - If so stick with semi-synthetic (eg Castrol 10/40 Magnatec etc.) until around 10-12k Km then go for full synthetic (Mobil 1 15/50 Castrol RS 10/60 etc)
JohnD
Old 06 March 2003, 10:40 AM
hakunamatata
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replies people - i just bought myself some mobil 1 15w50 and topped it up with that. i picked up the car ( 01 model ) 3 weeks ago and it was supposed to have been serviced the day b4 i picked it up. i have two more questions - is it possible that the dipstick is BONE DRY and the oil warning lamp doesnt come on in the dash? i checked it when the car was cold.( the indicator lamp works because when i turn on the ignition the oil indicator lights up )
the garage that serviced this particular car ( and has its entire history) told me that i need not check oil levels - thats done when it goes for its service every 7500miles - is this right?? thanks for your replies
Old 03 June 2003, 03:47 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Don't know specifically about your dipstick but here's the form for a UK car:

Before starting the car (engine cold), make sure that the picture of the oil can on the top of the dipstick is facing the right way up (i.e. facing up, toward the sky).

Remove dipstick, wipe and push back in tube with the oil can picture facing upward again, and withdraw immediately. Oil should not be higher than the "F" mark when cold.

The "L" mark represents low. If it's at or near this level, top up -- CAREFULLY. DON'T just drop a litre in, pour it slowly, leave it 5 minutes, check the level. The book says that when cold you should not add any oil above the upper "F" mark. When warm, the level will read between the "F" and the top notch because the oil expands.

It's worth keeping an eye on the oil level until you can be confident it *doesn't* use any oil. I would suggest checking every 750 - 1000 miles to start with ...

What colour is the oil? Is it pale gold and clean?

[Edited by brickboy - 3/6/2003 3:59:02 PM]
Old 03 July 2003, 10:22 AM
hakunamatata
Scooby Newbie

thanks brickboy - i think i'll take your advice and get someone to change the oil for peace of mind.

[Edited by hakunamatata - 3/7/2003 10:23:49 AM]