Noise coming from the engine

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 09:50 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Please tell me this isn't terminal.

When I got home from work this morning I heard a knocking (/tapping) noise coming from the front of the car as I reversed onto the driveway . I drove forward a bit and it was still there so I revved it in neutral and the knocking got faster, then disappeared. I flipped the bonnet and located the noise which seemed to be coming from the passenger side front of the engine. I turned the engine off and went to bed hoping the noise would have gone next time I started the car. The journey from work is about 4 miles so I would say the engine was warm.

When I got up a few hours later I started the car (now cold) and the noise was still there until I increased the revs . 'Oh ****' I thought. Apart from this the car seemed fine and wasn't smoking so I thought I'd pop to my local garage and speak to the mechanic. As I predicted, when I got to the garage (3 miles) the noise had stopped (although tbh, I was kinda glad ) and the mechanic suggested it could be a tappet problem and that I should use a detergent/flush when I change the oil (it's due a service this month). When I got home there was still no knocking. I'm not quite so worried as I was this morning but I thought I'd ask the experts for a second opinion - cue you guys.....

The car (MY97 UK) has the usual mods (d/p,induction,dawes).

Jamie
Old 06 March 2003, 08:37 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

dont mean to scare you but could it be the dreaded piston slap?

Didn't think you were supposed to use flushing agents?! I'd definatly get a second opinion.
Old 06 March 2003, 10:26 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

My car used to do something similar. It was like a tap tap tap noise from the top end side of one of the banks. It never smoked and didn't ever use any oil. To be fair, after a long run, it did go away, but would always come back again. As you say, there are times it does it and times it doesn't.

I popped to my dealer and he cited a number of potential things, from a cambelt that was one tooth out, to the tappets etc etc, but said that I'd be looking at £1-2k for them to look and correct. We decided that the car was still performing as it should, and even though the noise was there, I should live with it. So, I carried on using it and it was fine. No probs. Ever.

This was on a 1994 UK car with 100k+ miles. AFAIK the car is still going well, and still making the noise! If it goes pop, fix it, but if not, you've saved money.

Another thing. Don't ever flush the engine. More harm than good is done by performing this job!

Matt
Old 06 March 2003, 12:55 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Mine is the same, WRX 1994. No noise from startup, tapping noise some time after driving off until starts to get warm then it goes, some days it seems it has gone, others not. Had it checked, was told it was a tappet and is very common, not worth fixing. done 82k miles. I have tried various oils of varying makes and grades, doesn't seem to make a difference, tried a hydraulic valve lifter treatment, no change. Have got used to it so no longer worry.
Old 06 March 2003, 08:55 PM
milkytadpole
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a tappet to me too, the oil change might sort it out(mine does the same because it's got the wrong viscosity oil in it).
Old 06 March 2003, 10:24 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

This might be of some use
Old 07 March 2003, 07:37 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys - very reassuring.

I'll see how it goes after the service/oil change and take it from there.

Didn't do it yesterday but today I think it's back.

Still goes ok though so I'm happy for now!

J