Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PMS Strokerkit...............

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2003, 10:36 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I just wan“t to know if any of You have tried or heard of the PMS strokerkit?
I have just asked Them about a 2,4ltr stokerkit,which uses the ej22 block(bored and honed) and then a stoker kit to make it 2,4ltr.
The compagni only rate the block for max 20psi ,but i hope to make/plan to make around 420-450hp on it.....can it be done.

The price for the asambled shortblock is only around 2300£+500£ shipping.

All info would be great.

Skassa
Old 09 April 2003, 11:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

A 2.4 done is this way is I gather well thought of in Aus.

Lateral Performance in conjunction with SMG are doing my 2.33 stroker build using a 2.5 crank and 2.0 closed deck block I supplied with cross drilled crank, uprated bearings, forged pistons, steel conrods and head studs with a raised compression ratio. Having had some STi 5 heads secured and then with some basic flow work, I will be receiving a long block to play with.

The engine should be good for over 2 bar and the price and service is good.

Assuming peak power at 6000 RPM on a 2.4 which you might expect even with head work on STi heads and 1.42CFM/BHP you would expect up to 426 BHP even with 100% VE, with 90% VE which might be more realistic representing 90% of that.

For my 450 BHP and 400lbft I am allowing the option to run up to 2.0 bar on a suitable turbo if I have to but will initially try the 20G at 1.6 bar at 6000 RPM which would only give 458 BHP at 100% VE.

Bear in mind the power tends to peak lower on bigger engines with the same heads, also consider the big conrod loadings.

Wonder if the durability of the engine would be better rated by RPM rather than boost since 20 PSI is a walk in the park IMHO even on a Euro spec cast piston engine if done right.

Corky Bell makes the point that a doubling of torque typically only increases peak cylinder pressures by 20% because of wider less peaky pressure curves.

So I think you'll need to at least allow for the possibility of more boost with your build if you want a bit of a margin rather than pushing an expensive engine beyond its spec.

[Edited by john banks - 4/9/2003 11:25:35 PM]
Old 09 April 2003, 11:24 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

yes i know it will be great service at LP,

I“m going to mail him tomorrow ,need a gearbox anyway..

The problem is that here in Denmark You can“t find a used block,There is no Subaru dealers here,
and there is probbly only about 25 impreza GT“s here,
so the ones that will suply the things to me need to get block with the pistons,conrods and crank assambeled like a shortblock.

Thanks

Skassa
Old 09 April 2003, 11:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Mark offered to source me a Phase I closed deck block and can coordinate the whole thing for you if you want, and then you can custom spec what you want.
Old 10 April 2003, 12:26 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Skassa,

Why not get a complete kitted out 2.5litre engine from Robin at PMS? I have one, and am very pleased with the results.

If you want to talk more, feel free to email me offline.

Regards,
Christian
Old 10 April 2003, 10:20 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Skassa,

to achieve 2.4 from boring and stroking a 2.2, they will mostly likely offset grind the 2.5 change the stroke from 79mm to 81mm, in the process if they want to use more commonly available rods, they will need to start with a 52mm big end journal which means a phase 2 in order to have enough meat when they offset grind for a 48mm big end.

This means they willbe forced to use a phase 2 block, since without difficult modification phase 1 and 2 cranks are not intrchangable due to the thrust bearing location.

Phase 2 ej22s were not available as closed decks, and so this will have to use an open deck block, unless of course its a custom billet crank, but i think the price is prohibitive.

While harveys rolling road runs have shown that 400+bhp is possible, this could explain why they are not entirely happy to give it a rating that you are happy with. I would think the ej22 would be more prone to cylinder walking also, given that the piston has a larger mass in the first place, and the force imparted to the walls by the pistons side movement will be increasd due to the substantially longer stroke.

Further to this, the load on the big end is increased enormously due to a longer stroke and an 81mm stroke. To retain this at standard or close to standard levels you need to drop your red line to about 7000rpm. Again this makes it more difficult to achieve the higher power figures, though it does mean that you have a torquier engine.

You would be far better off deciding exactly what you want from the engine.

If its higher power and revability but at the expense of torque, I would go for a destroked 2.5 (2.33) which can still rev to 8000 rpm, and therefore can make the power due to the revs.

If its high torque lower down but with ultimately the potential for less horsepower safely, then a bored and stroked 2.2 such as the one you are considering.

As christian says robin at perfourmance motorsport in australia is capable of supplying any of the engines discussed in this thread, or as you have already realised Mark at Lateral performance also has knowledge on the different geometries.
Old 10 April 2003, 11:13 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
no, yours isnt a destroked 2.5 as you supplied a 2.0 cdb..

David
Old 10 April 2003, 12:13 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

Adam,
If its higher power and revability but at the expense of torque, I would go for a destroked 2.5 (2.33) which can still rev to 8000 rpm, and therefore can make the power due to the revs.

I must say that this is for a friend(mine will be done later,when i see how it goes)

What will be needed from a EJ25 phase II block+crank ??

The guy already purchased a garret GT25 with a big trim rated at 475hp!!
I have jused tried to get a block here in Denmark and there is only one Complete EJ25 brand new it“s only 1100£ (that“s cheap),
But i recon that the parts needed can be found in Your Country for less then that.

I will get in touch with SMG + LP later today to see how it can done.

Thanks
Skassa
Old 10 April 2003, 12:17 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
destroked 2.5?

not much point IMHO

Sleeved down 2.5?
Stroked 2.2?

Aaah, that sounds better

or just close the deck like cobb and PMS.

John, yours will be a stroker 2.2 effectively

Paul
Old 10 April 2003, 12:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Do you know what the bore and stroke end up at with a Lateral Performance 2.33?
Old 10 April 2003, 12:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

John

97mm piston, 79mm stroke of standard 2.5 such as you supplied.
Old 04 October 2003, 11:11 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wonder if mine will be a destroked 2.5 then? I supplied a 2.5 crank and 2.0 CDB which was going to be linered. Crank is keeping original big end size of 48mm.

This would of course influence whether I rev it to 7000 or 7500. I don't think there is any point in going higher on my engine when you consider most bigger engines are making their power in the low 6000s with the very mild head work I'm planning.

[Edited by john banks - 4/10/2003 11:12:03 AM]
Old 04 October 2003, 12:34 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

a destroked 2.5 is a 100mm diameter block but using a 75mm stroke.

paul, the point is the benefit of low down grunt provided by greater gas flow spooling the turbo, maintaining the short stroke means you get the free revving nature of the 2.0 engine.

Only difference is the mass of the piston, but a decent JE piston weighs less than a 2.0 sti piston anyway.

[Edited by Adam M - 4/10/2003 12:46:18 PM]