Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

*** PPP'd STI7/8's with aftermarket back boxes - Warranty/Performance ***

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2003, 02:35 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This is a question for STI7 and 8 owners really.

I have a PPP'd STI Type UK and am now thinking of changing the back box to give a bit more burble.

Used to have an MY00 UK car with HKS Super Drager and loved the sound of that to bits.

Two questions really:

1/ Warranty, will it still hold up with just a back box change.

2/ Is there anyone out there with first hand experience of having the PPP'd car with the Prodrive back box dyno'd, and then switched to an alternative back box and dyno'd again. I want the boxer sound back in my Scoob that I haven't had since parting with my last car, but don't want to sacrifice performance.

Thanks in advance..

Simon
Old 18 April 2003, 05:21 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

ive got the same prob with my 7, ive thought about putting a straight through pipe where the silencer is in the mid section, asked at my dealer, they say it will invalidate the warranty
mark
Old 18 April 2003, 05:38 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Mark

Thanks for the feedback.

Straight through section in place of a silencer I can understand a little...

But what about a straight back box change. Ok, same effect of reduced silencing, but not as bad as taking one out all together.

Anyone else got any ideas on this. Anyone else asked the question of their dealer?

Thanks

Simon
Old 19 April 2003, 01:49 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

before i had the ppp i had a scoobysport backbox on, the ppp was far louder, i suppose a tsl firestorm or a blitz would be the loudest backbox
mark
Old 19 April 2003, 02:45 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark

Funny, I was hoping someone would say Blitz, as that is what I have had in mind. But only if warranty stays intact.

Somehow though, I think I have more chance of winning the lottery than maintaining warranty with Subaru/IM

Oh well.. Cheers

Simon
Old 19 April 2003, 06:09 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon, i was told by my local dealer that IM would decline any warranty claims made on PPP'd Sti7/8's that had any changes other than the Prodrive ones. Only told this verbally so cannot confirm it's authenticity. Obviously some dealers may look on this differently.

simon
Old 19 April 2003, 06:25 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Fact is that a guy on here DID lose his warranty because of a backbox and center section and his STi7 cost big money to get fixed.

The last I heard was that he was taking IM/Subaru to court over the costs as the replacement parts were of the same specification or higher than the OM parts.

It's highly likely that his fuel pump made the engine pop and nothing to do with his backbox, but any excuse to tear up a warranty and they will.

But, your dealer that you brought the car from should be
sympathetic if you were to fit an aftermarket backbox, I know mine is.
Old 19 April 2003, 08:59 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

OK, thanks guys....

I think I will just have to live with it then. I get really frustrated when I hear other Scoobs driving around and they just sound awesome. I have to tear **** around for 10 minutes to get my zorst hot enough to be noticeable.

Will have to wait and see what the outcome of this court case is then I guess. Maybe then will the door be opened to us new age owners...

Ta

Simon
Old 20 April 2003, 12:56 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Mark,

I've got a Blitz Nur Spec R fitted to my STi7 PPP, and no whinging from CVC...yet!

They just noticed the bung was rattling a bit, took it out and crapped themselves cos of the noise...

Paul McCarthy just laughed

Old 20 April 2003, 07:08 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i used to have my 97 and p1 serviced at cvc with full decat, no probs, mentioned fiddling with the sti, got told not to
mark
Old 20 April 2003, 11:52 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

I didn't fancy shelling out another £2K for the PPP when like the Classic PPP, the after market bits produce better results.

I've fitted a Magnex Cat+ system which comprises of a backbox & centre straight through pipe which replaces the silencer section.
The familiar Scooby beat is returned and it is not too loud.
The quality & fit are excellent. I was surprised how much corrosion was on the std system after 2500 miles!

Next mod will be a sports Cat & ECUTEK reprogramme. I reckon this is better than the PPP route if you want to spread the cost.

Warranty, I'll take the risk, if you treat it with a bit of mechanical sympathy. If your doing the capable speeds it's a throw the keys away job if you get huckled.

Andy
Old 21 April 2003, 10:20 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Agree with Big Goon.

If you want to muck about why buy a PPP in the first place? The reason to do it is cause its the only thing that you can get done and still keep the warrenty!!!

My dealer said that IM are really strict with the warrenty issues now - so me wanting to fit a Dump valve (fitted and supplied by the dealer!!!) would invalidate the warrenty ON ALL THE CAR apparently. And in light of the guy with the STI 7 - is it really worth having a bit louder exhaust vs 3 years warrenty???

I was going to go the D/P & U/P route with my PPP WRX until i weighed up the potential costs!!

Jza
Old 22 April 2003, 12:55 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

Andy,

I have had my PPP fitted since December, so spreading the cost of anything doesn't really come into it here, unless you are directing this at anyone else, in which case I apologies.

Jza

Not wanting to 'Muck Around'. It was a simple question of, who has done/asked if they could do, what I would like to do myself. I think I stated that the warranty is the overriding factor in this for me and I would not change it if I knew that it would invalidate the warranty.

I will wait and see what the outcome of this court case is. If Subaru/IM's invalidation of engine warranty is thrown out, depending on the final verdict of course, I will then make a decision on what I should do.

However, I totally expect any court case not to go to court for some time. I will be changing the car early next year, so I will probably end up not changing the BB at all. Shame!!

Thanks

Simon