Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Issues with ScoobySport back box on classic

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2003, 09:32 AM
99PPPDriver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My recently fitted (2nd hand) scoobysport back box squeaks and has an annoying "tinny" rattle. I hope the rattle is not a baffle in the back box, but otherwise I am stumped as to what it could be (exhaust heat shield?). I have checked and the pipe shouldn't be hitting the diff and the rubbers have been WD40'ed. Any ideas? Do I need thick grease on the rubbers? Surely the back box shouldn't rattle (it seemed sound when it was fitted)?

Thanks
Peter
Old 17 June 2003, 09:50 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Peter

Ensure that it has plenty of clearance with the diff, driveshaft and the heatshield above the box.

When we changed manufacturers, we relocated the box and pipework to give plenty of clearance, but some the ones from our previous supplier were close to parts of the car. It may have had sufficient clearance on the previous owners car, but not on yours.

If it is fouling, Hayward and Scott have a good warranty service.
Old 17 June 2003, 11:54 AM
99PPPDriver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pete thanks for that

The pipe does hit the diff if i pull it hard towards it, but the gap seems sufficient and I am not hearing a clunk. I am unsure of driveshaft clearance but again I don't get a clunk so I think that is O.K. as well. Regarding the heatshield, where exactly is this? I have only been able to crawl under the car so didn't have a good view but couldn't see a suitable shield to produce this type of noise. It does sound like a shield however as it is a "tinny" noise(eg thin metal type of vibration).

I think I'll have to run it on someones ramp and give it a good investigation to try to find whats what. Regarding the squeak, could this be the joint between the back box and the midsection? I had a new the gasket fitted as suggested. OR will this just be the mounting rubbers? Shall I get them all greased up?

Thanks
Peter
Old 17 June 2003, 06:53 PM
99PPPDriver
Scooby Regular

Question

BTTT
Old 17 June 2003, 07:06 PM
silver:scooby
Scooby Regular

Ive had two scoobysport b/b and had no problems at all top sound and top fit. This may sound silly but check and see if somthing did not fall in the b/b on fitting ie bolt, nut, if the baffle is loss you should be able to see it by hitting the back box with your hand and looking up the tail pipe, other than that im lost to. hope this helps
Old 17 June 2003, 07:12 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

The tube which the exhaust rubber hangers fit to on the exhaust and on the car have a flange on them to stop the rubber ging on to far.

The edges of mine were just touching. Lifting the backbox and wobbling it slightly showed the problem up slightly.

Cheers

Mark
Old 18 June 2003, 07:49 AM
99PPPDriver
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Cheers for the replies

I had another play last night and I think the squeak comes from the joint between the downpipe and the mid-section. There is a flex joint of some sort with springs to keep the pipe together but allow for some movement fore-aft by the engine. This is squeaking. I am guessing the new back box has moved the pipe and pulled on the joint. When someone pulls the back box backwards and forwards the noise is generated, not by side - side shaking. Also when crawled under the car with enginer running (not much fun), I heard the tinny rattle. It sounds like a heat shield on the midsection of the exhast (not sure on that one). What can I do about this? And why does the mid-section have any shields as it should be decatted as it is from my PPP. I thought you only had them around cats to keep the heat from the cat off the car / protect the cat. Have I got a catted midsection fitted by a careless / dodgy garage? If not why the bulged sections with heat shields. Seems fishy to me. If i need to re-mount the exhaust how can I prevent the squeak? Anyway / all suggestions welcome.

Many Thanks
Peter
Old 18 June 2003, 08:30 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Peter

The PPP centre decat has a small silencer that looks identical to the original cat. The centre fitted to the 99/00 PPP is the same centre as is fitted as standard to the STi5 and 6.

A smear of copper slip on the spring bolts/flange may be all that is required
Old 18 June 2003, 08:52 AM
99PPPDriver
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that! It would appear my shiny new(ish) ScoobySport back box is in not to blame. In fact it is in fine form! I have to say it does sound rather good. Seems like only the rest of my car sounds like 4RSE

One last thing, can the exhaust be adjusted to make it a better fit and stop the movement of this spring mounted joint? Otherwise must I just smear it all with copper slip to keep it all moving minus the squeak? I am guessing all I can do is lube up the joint but I'd be interested to know if I can improve the fit as it seems strange the squeak has begun since fitment of the new back box. I guess I'll have to get it up on ramps to get the rattling PPP silencer heat shield spot welded / mended.

Cheers Pete (and others) for all assistance.

(PPP)Peter
Old 18 June 2003, 08:55 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Peter

It must be allowed to move. During gear changed, the engine rocks from side to side and the exhaust grows about 10mm between cold and hot.
Old 18 June 2003, 09:05 AM
99PPPDriver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Pete

Will get under "her" at the w/e to sort this out!

Peter