Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Help: Oil leak after fitting new Oil Temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2003, 12:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Well, spent last night fitting a new Oil Temp sensor for my SPA gauges, but when I started the car and checked around the sensor I noticed some oil starting to ooze out from under the new sensor.

To be exact it's actually leaking from under the adaptor I bought from Le Mans; the seal between the small sensor and the adaptor is fine.

I noticed on the original blank that it has a washer. I assumed I wouldn't need to re-use this as the Le Mans adaptor has a rubber ring built-in to it.

I suspect the adaptor just wasn't tight enough or maybe I didn't use enough PFTE tape.

Here's a pic of the adaptor I have:-

As soon as it started leaking I switched the car off and re-fitted the blank. You should have heard my language when I realised I'd have to take the intercooler back off to sort it

I don't think the thread is wrong, so does it just sound like it wasn't tight enough?

Stefan
Old 01 July 2003, 02:17 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thread is right - I used the thicker gas PTFE tape and so far, it hasn't been a problem. I did have a rather bad leak from using another adaptor, but that was mainly me being silly.

I have to say that I prefer the design of the OE part with the squish washer and wide flange round the edge and no need of a rubber washer, but the LMA bit isn't bad, and there isn't too much choice when it comes to NPT fittings in the UK.
Old 01 July 2003, 02:41 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

My adapter didn't come with a rubber ring so I reused the Subaru ring and no leak yet.
The hex shape looks like it needs something under it as it doesn't cover the gallery hole totally.

Nick
1997 Forester S/tb
Old 01 July 2003, 02:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Nick,

The hex part is just the head, there's a brass ring beneath that which covers the hole completely. The rubber ring runs around the very top of the thread, so I think if I re-use the washer it will stop the rubber o-ring from sealing properly.

Here's a better pic to show you what it looks like:-

Stefan
Old 01 July 2003, 04:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

dnb,

I take it you just used the Le Mans adaptor as it was and didn't re-use the OEM washer?

Stefan
Old 01 July 2003, 06:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Smear it with some gas joint sealing compound, "Bos White" etc, before putting it in. I guarantee it won't leak!
Alcazar
Old 01 July 2003, 06:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks,

When I removed the adaptor it was very loose i.e. it took no effort to undo. I had to cobble together an extension to my socket wrench and couldn't get any decent leverage on the thing. I think it just wasn't in tight enough to be honest.

I've borrowed a nice long extension bar and a torque wrench to try again this evening.

Anyone know what torque should be used to tighten it up?

Stefan
Old 01 July 2003, 08:49 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Looks like a success. Let the car idle for around 10mins and did some light driving and so far no signs of any leakage

Stefan
Old 02 July 2003, 10:10 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ozzy - you're not supposed to reuse those squish washer things, as they don't work too well the second time round. I used the Le mans adaptor without the OE washer - I just made sure there was plenty of PTFE tape on it (and that none would get into the oil...) and wound it in until the washer was tightly up against the block.
Old 02 July 2003, 11:23 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Did the same as you - plenty of PFTE tape (although not too much), but this time I used a long 1/2" extension bar and a torque wrench to tighten it up properly.

No leaks so far, but too ease my paranoia I'll keep checking for the next week or so.

Stefan