Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust for a JDM STI 7 (MY02) - longish!

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2003, 07:04 AM
jamscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum (and not mechanically minded)so I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been beaten to death! Briefly, I'm looking for bolt-on power mods - starting with an exhaust system. Is this the way to go? - give me your opinions. I live in Jamaica so whichever system I buy must fit "perfectly" or as close as possible as returning it for adjustments will be difficult. I've read many reviews of various systems and noticed mentions of "boost spikes" after fitting catless systems. I had planned on a catless system as we dont have emission controls here.Can someone explain the potential problems? Also, can anyone give me some recommendations as to a "good" system? I don't mind a little extra noise. TIA for the help - Daryl

[Edited by jamscooby - 7/22/2003 7:06:19 AM]
Old 22 July 2003, 06:20 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I live in Nassau, Bahamas and have a JDM STI-7. Contact Pete Croney at www.scoobysport.co.uk. I have their full Scoobysport turbo back zorst system completely catless. It fitted perfectly, absolutely no adjustments needed. You will need to change the restrictor size (little pin in one of the vaccumm hoses, very easy to change) and Pete can supply you with one of those as well. That will give you a fully decatted system with zero boost spikes and a nice increase in BHP and TQ. The turbo will also spool a lot quicker and you will have better midrange.

I had this all done originally but have since upgraded to having the ECU remmaped as well to take FULL advantage of the decat....this is the next step after you have done the above but can cost a pretty penny as you will have to mail them your ECU for them to program it or send them a new one direct from Japan (which is what I did). The end result for me with full decat and remmaped ECU is roughly 330 - 340 BHP and 320 FT. Lbs. TQ. The main difference however is the low down grunt has greatly increased and the car pulls very strongly to redline.

Good luck !
Ray

PS: Make sure you are getting good enough gas over there matey as you don't want your car detting. My advice, buy a Knocklink and delatdash from www.ecutek.co.uk

Old 23 July 2003, 08:56 PM
jamscooby
Scooby Newbie

Ray,

Thanks for the response. I've since spoken to Pete C. and am now putting my pennies together. I'd like to go the whole hog and get the remapped ecu, but it becomes quite pricey because of the associated shipping costs. Do you have any thoughts re boost controllers? Also any opinions re BOVs? Gas here is rated at 90 octane. Had the car dynoed when I got it and the dyno operator said it had slight pinging, so I try and put in Octane Booster regularly.

Daryl
Old 24 July 2003, 06:22 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

90 Octane is low for a JDM STi. It could be US rating of RON+MON/2 which will give you about 95RON. But these cars run on 100RON in Japan. Octane booster is probably a must.
The restrictor is easy to change but it is very easy to lose a hose clamp or split a hose. Probably get some spares shipped with the new restrictor if you can.
Old 24 July 2003, 02:50 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Hey,

Pete will sort you wout with all details. Do not get a boost controller (unless you are plannning to lower the boost, which may be advisable considering you are running wayyyy to low octane rated gas, not trying to scare you but you will get det with that gas and that hot climate), do not get a blow off valve either unless you have the ecu remmaped for it.

If dollars are a problem, I would start with the decat with restrictor boost spike fix and always use octane booster....honestly I would turn the boost down a little if you are only putting in 90 octane / 95 RON gas.

Good luck !
Ray

[Edited by Razor2001 - 7/24/2003 2:53:32 PM]