Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What power mod next?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 06:45 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've fitted a K&N Induction kit (soon to be replaced by ITG panel filter), a Scorpion stainless downpipe, centre section and rear box with no cats.

I take it a re-map should be next on my list?

Any recommendations on who should do it for me around the Glasgow/central Scotland area?

What kind of power hike should a good re-map give on a MY00 with the above mods?

Any other mods recommended?

Cheers

Old 18 August 2003, 08:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is nothing wrong with a 57i if you do want to keep it. Intercooler hoses are also helpful because they reduce a horrible restriction lowering PR across the compressor for the same manifold pressure, hence benefitting exhaust manifold back pressure and charge temperature = better airflow and ignition timing.

Knocklink and boost gauge for safety are a good idea as your modifications progress.

Based on results at Star, depending on temperature and octane, your car is presently probably running 218-221 BHP, and you would expect about 262-265 BHP with a remap.

[Edited by john banks - 8/18/2003 8:14:35 PM]
Old 18 August 2003, 08:36 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

FWIW, my best recommendation is to listen to John's advice then get him to map your car when you are ready; you will not regret it
Oh & don't be too quick to get rid of the induction kit as you may wish you hadn't.
Have fun
Old 18 August 2003, 11:53 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Interesting points.... not often you hear folk being advocates for induction kits, what with the potential maf problems etc....

Samco intercooler hoses may well be next on the list...

John, I thought my car was 218bhp as standard, but you say it may be putting out that kind of power figure with my current mods?

So they haven't added any power at all? [confused]

I also didn't think a re-map could give as much as 50 bhp-ish?

Thanks guys, keep the advice coming!
Old 19 August 2003, 06:07 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

not often you hear folk being advocates for induction kits, what with the potential maf problems etc....
Much more potential for MAF sensor problems with the ITG panel than there is with the K&N!

Samco (or similar) hoses should definitely be on the list. The induction pipe also makes a difference, so you might want to do this after you've replaced the horrid plastic turbo to I/C bit...
Old 19 August 2003, 09:41 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

From dyno results at Star although very few in number with cars of the same spec at PE for comparison:

MY00 decat (average of three) 218.5 BHP 221 lbft (256 and 233 at PE, many cars)
MY99 decat (one car) 220 BHP 225 lbft (266 and 248 at PE, many cars)

Remapped cars at Star tend to be in the 255 to 272 BHP range. A lot depends on whether they make their boost on the day - the rollers do funny things to boost control - if you map it to reach target on the rollers it dangerously overboosts on the road - the 272 BHP figure was on a car where the boost was adjusted on the rollers to match the road.

Yes you've added power by the mods you've done. I never guarantee rolling road figures because they are unreliable, but a typical gain on a UK MY00 is as stated. Some are more or less, I am not going to blow engines up to get figures, each engine will do what I feel it can leaving a large safety margin.
Old 19 August 2003, 12:14 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey

Much more potential for MAF sensor problems with the ITG panel than there is with the K&N!
I never realised this, I always thought that ITG were very highly regarded and pretty safe?

Also, I take it the turbo to i/c hose is part of the turbo kit?

I couldn't believe it when I saw that the induction hose (1) was £200! :O

Could someone do me a favour and have a look at Samco and tell me the part numbers I need, as it seems that quite a few of the kits are doublers. ie, more than 1 type of kit for a particular MY??

My car is a UK MY00 so what Turbo and Induction kits would I require?

Is the airbox hose worth replacing and also the coolant set. Do they make a difference?

Thanks again guys. Keep the good advice coming.
Old 19 August 2003, 01:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

TCS143

or for example:

http://www.grahamgoode.com/cgi-bin/p...page=hoses.htm GGS942

[Edited by john banks - 8/19/2003 1:01:55 PM]
Old 19 August 2003, 01:17 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Check out Rally Design (www.raldes.co.uk) for the Samco hoses. I got my TCS143 set from them and they were a lot cheaper than elsewhere.

Also, I have had the K&N 57i installed for a couple of years with no probs. I had the ITG before and discovered a lot of gunk collected around the airbox when I removed it !

Andy.