Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Subaru engine in a Kit Car

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2003, 01:15 PM
tuffer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I am looking at building a mid engined Kit (not sure on which one yet but have a few ideas). Would like to use a Scooby engine and box but only driving one set of wheels (using the front drive shafts). Couple of problems I forsee:

How do I blank of the rear driveshaft?
Will the front driveshafts take all the power?
What would be the best donor?
Should I be sensible and just go for a fairly standard engine first and see how it goes or just kick the **** out of it from day one and go for a 2.5 litre and 400bhp ?
I would like plenty of torque and little lag as my WRX used to p155 me off waiting for it to come on boost. (although this should be less of a problem with a car weighing around 500kg).
5 or 6 speed?

Any views?
Old 04 October 2003, 06:36 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

OK I am looking at building a mid engined Kit (not sure on which one yet but have a few ideas). Would like to use a Scooby engine and box but only driving one set of wheels (using the front drive shafts).
Think you've got things a bit mixed up there. Most kits tend to get designed with a specific engine layout (normally inline) in mind, so before you go too far down this route, it'd be worth researching the available kits so you can be certain of finding one that will accommodate the EJ engine and gearbox easily.

Couple of problems I forsee:
How do I blank of the rear driveshaft?
You mean the propshaft? That is a minor issue. You've first got to find a way to lock (or eliminate) the centre diff. After that, sealing the prop output is no problem.

Will the front driveshafts take all the power?
Impossible to say, depends on a huge number of variables, not least the weight of your vehicle and the amount of traction it has available, as well as the power and torque of the engine.

What would be the best donor?
As in best donor Impreza or best donor kit?

Should I be sensible and just go for a fairly standard engine first and see how it goes or just kick the **** out of it from day one and go for a 2.5 litre and 400bhp ?
Was that a joke? At the moment, the most sensible step would be to weigh up the practicalities of this entire project.

I would like plenty of torque and little lag
Don't we all? There are plenty of engine modification related threads, so the best option regarding this side of things would be to hit the Search button.

Your biggest problem at the moment is finding a way of packaging the engine and gearbox into whatever you decide to build, or looking at it from the other angle, finding a kit that'll handle a wide, low, flat four with transaxle gearbox arrangement.

(although this should be less of a problem with a car weighing around 500kg).
If you're looking at something that light, forget the Subaru engine completely and go with a K-Series or similar.

5 or 6 speed?
That question is about number 20 on your list. Answer the other 19 first!

BTW, there was a thread a couple of weeks back about a guy who wanted to use an EJ in one of the Elise-based cars. Might be worth seeking out and reading.
Old 04 October 2003, 06:56 PM
tuffer
Scooby Regular

OK I have done the research and found a suitable kit - I just don't want to mention which one at present (I want to be first )

Yes it does take a rear/mid mounted engine with a transaxle.

Prop / drive shaft....You know what I mean!

Scooby lump should fit as I have seen a Peugoet 2 litre with an Audi trans in the same car.

Ref Horsepower, Torque and gearbox...I know that is a long way off (like the rest of the project) but I would like to get some clear ideas first B4 I commit myself to buying donor parts only to find I would have been better off with ...whatever. (2 months in and post a Q only to be told ....oooooohhhhhh you should'nt have used one of those mate!!)

K series is not an option, far to common and far to expensive to achieve the sort the sort of power that I could get from a standard Scoob engine (turbo of course).

Besides all that, it's my dream car and I can have what I like...

So its a 500kg, 300 - 350bhp, mid engined Kit for me!!!
Old 04 October 2003, 08:33 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Someone on here a bit back had a single seater scoob engined mid mount for sale

Looked quite good too, wasnt a turbo, but due to the weight, it was quick