Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Legacy engine dies!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2003, 11:45 AM
paul with
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 98 2litre non turbo legacy has developed an intermittent problem.The engine simply dies without warning,any revs,any temperature,any road speed ,any time.We've checked fuel,spark cleaned everything and replaced the 'top dead centre pickup'(whatever that is!)It'suggested it might be the fuel pump relay,but the pump can be heard working when the engine is dead.ANY response would be welcome.Thanks
Old 06 October 2003, 04:01 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

a mate of mine has the same problem at the moment, and he cant trace the fault, just dies now and again for no reason.
somebody he knows used to be an auto-electrician and he suggested that there maybe a faulty relay somewhere in the electrics....however, he has not had chance to look at the car yet.

also, it may not be that easy (or possible) to find the fault when the car is running fine. i know that he did tell my mate that when it dies next, to get some voltage readings, i will try and find out where he said to get them from.

ian

Old 06 October 2003, 04:45 PM
paul with
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks,problem is getting to the garage when it's died!!Please keep me updated,if we fix mine I'll let you know.
Old 06 October 2003, 05:17 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Er, does "either car" have an immobiliser fitted. Have had occaisions when an alarm immobiliser or seperate immobiliser has either gone faulty or found a loose/bad connection to them.
I know its a long shot, but worth mentioning. Only other common item is the electrical part of the ignition switch, as if the contacts are worn, as they get hot, they could cause it to cut the engine or similar circuits, till it cools down again.
Old 06 October 2003, 07:05 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

This is a thought, mate of mine had a rover 216 with the 16V honda engine (yeah i know)
It used to die for no apparent reason. A garage changed the fuel pump relay and apart from that the engine and ancilleries has no user servicable parts, ie, all very sealed and electronic this & that.
I had a play with it and couldnt suss it either.
It went to a carb and injection tuning place and they got as far as saying that the distributor was nackered, as it had no spark, this would cost about 350 quid
My mate got chatting to a honda main dealer who suggested changing the "igniter" which is inside the distributor,id never heard of one of these before, but-
I thought i heard someone mention on here that the Suburu engine uses them too????
Anyway, we changed it (60 quid) and it worked a treat.
I know its a long shot with the min of info i have but maybe....
Old 08 October 2003, 09:49 PM
paul with
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for suggestions,anybody any other ideas?,garage is now looking at fuel relays
Old 08 October 2003, 09:53 PM
paul with
Scooby Newbie

for'scooby ****' How would we test for worn ignition switch?
nb.It's sometimes possible to remove the key from the ignition and leave the engine running!Does this help??
Old 08 October 2003, 11:04 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i had a a legacy in with the same sort of problem it turned out to be one of the big multiplugs on the off side of the bell housing not quite pushed together properly
Old 29 October 2003, 11:02 AM
paul with
Scooby Newbie

To UK LEGACY T
Did you find out what the fault was with the legacy cutting out??
Old 29 October 2003, 02:25 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

hi mate,

completely forgot about this thread sorry. the car just stopped doing it for no reason, so we cant fault find until it does it again

blo*dy car electrics!

ian