Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Japanese Performance Magazine Article

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 1999, 08:54 PM
Steve Gee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

At last issue 1 of the above mag is on the streets, and its not too bad. There's an article about Scooby tuning, that's quite interesting BUT a little concerning. Among the contributors were Pete Croney and Dave Power. The concern comes from Dave Power's quote "Ramair and ITG filters should never be used on an Impreza because of the hot-wire airflow meter"
Now hold on a minute, just who is right????
Prodrive use Ramair (wet)
Scoobysport use ITG (wet)
Power use Blitz (dry)
I think I know who I believe, anyone else got any comments? Anders?
Cheers
Steve
Old 22 November 1999, 10:14 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Think you'll find PC wasnt too happy with that comment.
This went round IWOC recently..PC posted a reply to confirm their safety.

I thought PE did very well out of that article..there were various errors in it as well...
Old 26 November 1999, 11:51 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Just seen your other post, so posting this here.

I have run a Ramair for 6000 miles and the ITG filter for the other 14500 miles on my 99MY car, I havent had a single problem with air mass sensors or anything related to them in all of that time. The Ramair came out of my 97MY car when i changed it, and had done 12000 miles in that car as well without a problem. The later Ramair's produced had too much polymer on them, and are rumoured to cause problems on the 99MY and STi 5 cars, although I havent heard of many actually failing. HKS cone filters have caused more failures I am aware of on the 99 MY cars than Ramairs, before they were redesigned ????? I know of at least 2 people that got through 3 sensors each on STi 5's.

I wasnt very impressed by the whole article actually.
Old 27 November 1999, 09:19 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Ian,

the HKS upgrade does not seem to solve the problem - however a number of AFMs seem to have failed on Version 5s (and the biturbo legacy which has the same part) without any mods. I think that it is a fragile part.

Biased HKS user

David
Old 27 November 1999, 09:56 AM
Branners
Scooby Regular

Theres supposed to be an article in there about the Blitz Supra so Im off out to buy it today, but on the subject of air filters we have had various discussions about how useful they are and we find that the under bonnet temperature from the Supra twin turbo is almost to high for a cone filter to actually make any difference.

Our air filter boxes are right infront of the turbos so the heat around that area is huge. I then noticed in Fast Car this month that they put a Honda Civic VTEC on a rolling road, tested it, then put various mods on and almost every single one including the air filter gave lower HP readings.

We also have a racing driver on our list who thinks that most modern cars are setup as near to perfect within the relative emmision laws and that most mods are hardly worth the huge amount of money thats paid for them.

Has anybody rolling roaded a car, then changed just the air filter and found any major changes? (and did you try shutting the bonnet and doing the same test).

JB