Compatability of SS & Magnex Exhaust sections

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2000, 12:18 AM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Alright guys,

As some of you will know, I run a UK97 with SS Downpipe and Backbox. I have been toying with the idea of a de-cat centre section to complete the system for a while now.

Whilst coming back from the Pod on Sunday, I got stuck (no offence matey lol) behind Ian Gratton in his fully Scoobysported car. The noise and light show (flames) finally got to me and I bought a de-cat pipe next day!

Tried Pete at Scoobysport for a straight through (no resonator) pipe, but was told that they only do alterations to standard pipe i.e. cut the cat out for £45. Didn't want to go this route as when the car is sold, I want the OEM Kit to go back on. Ended up buying a Magnex de-cat pipe which was reasonable at £91.00.

Question is, has anyone fitted one of these to mate up with a SS Downpipe and Backbox?
Any tips and problem areas pointed out at this stage could save swearing and possible pipe violence later!

Cheers
Chris
Old 18 April 2000, 01:28 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

You will also have problems with the MOT. My car with Scoobysport downpipe and cut-out centre section failed on the slow idle test but scraped through on the fast idle test.

Do you know a friendly MOT station? Make sure you properly warm the car up before taking it to the MOT ( A B-Road blast would do nicely! ) and ask them to test emissions first.

Gethin.
MY97 WRX

Old 18 April 2000, 01:40 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

As long as the magnex pipe would fit the standard exhaust it will fit the SS DP and BB.
Old 18 April 2000, 01:54 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Im running the Scoobysport downpipe and backbox, and had the magnex centre pipe fitted a couple of weeks ago. No problem with the fitting - cost a fiver at a local exhaust shop. Pipe cost me £72 inc delivery, have you got the silenced one? Its a MY98 for the record.
Old 18 April 2000, 02:32 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Guys

Gethin, I am aware of the MOT implications and will be putting the DP back on.

Howard, Thats a good price! where did you get it? How does the car feel with the 2nd Cat out of the way? I've gone for the straight through pipe. IT'S GONNA BE LOUD! lol.

Chris
Old 18 April 2000, 03:56 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Bought it from ABP Motorsport in Cheshire. I have spoken to another owner who wanted a Magnex pipe but was told that the silenced pipe was the only one available now – he ended up with the Scorpion pipe (circa £70).

The car always pulled better with the SS downpipe fitted so would be hard to comment on what performance the centre pipe is adding except that there is a lot more noise, especially when accelerating hard. The car seems to be popping and banging a lot less now on overrun – can somebody explain why?

I’m also running with an induction kit, which adds to the aural effect. I believe the next ‘noise’ enhancement is a VTA dump valve.
Old 18 April 2000, 05:26 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Chris,
Well done, you said you were going to get one when we spoke last week at the Mids meet, excellent!
If you need a hand fitting, give us a shout.
Ermm, i wonder if mine flames!!!

Regards
Paul
Old 18 April 2000, 07:49 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hey guys,

A little info about flames (a little experienced in this field)

I have a Scoobysport downpipe, decat centre and backbox with air filter. I also fitted a 'NON'-recirculatory dump valve. Basically, this means the air is dumped straight to atmosphere instead of being channeled back into the system. Now this also meant that the standard chip didnt see the air coming back in, so it fed more fuel into the engine in order to compensate for the apparent loss.(more complex than this, but this is laymans terms, which I am). Now this has both positive and negative effects.

The excess fuel being pumped would slowly trickle to the base of the exhaust, down to the backbox, at which point it would meet with the hottest point and ignite the excessive fuel, hence causing the flameouts. I used to get flameouts of about 2 feet at times.

Points to consider:

a) This looked mighty cool. It makes you look butch and hard, just like Schumacer (sp). The girls would flock and mere mortal men would bow down to you.

b)Fuel consumption went down to as low as 5 MPG URBAN!! Off course, its expected with all that fuel being ignited in your backbox. Be prepared for VERY frequent fill ups. I managed 100 miles to a tank when I caned it.

c) There is a risk of melting internal engine organs. I dont know which/how but this was told to me by very reliable sources, so be warned.

d) Police will absolutely adore you. They will sit behind you and say "Please blacken our faces, its such a hoot!"

e) MOT. Forget it. Took me 3 weeks over my expired time to find someone to do it. I nearly had to reinstall my original downpipe because of it.

f)Warranty...you know the drill.

Now, you can buy possum link (£1k) and accomodate for the changes in fueling by telling the car "look, i am only playing, stop feeding it more fuel" and the car will be safer/efficient/boring (delete as applicable).

I have to say though, I miss it. I got rid of mine because i was paying almost £100 a week on fuel, which became a joke. I now have a recirculating alloy dumpvalve. Its awesome, really is because it makes absolutley NO DIFFERENCE TO THE ORIGINAL AT ALL!! Hmm...

I have read that PE have developed a new allow non-recirculatory dump valve which will ensure safety margins are increased. He told me the details but because I am a bit thick when it comes to engines, i kinda switched off when he said "well it kinda goes like this....."

If you can afford it, do it, its good fun but the risks are there and you should be made aware of them.

End of essay.
18th April 1984 Class 2X

Old 18 April 2000, 09:37 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Akira,
do a search against my username under drivetrain.
look at the last thread, Magnex mid section.
The Shouldered bolts are not long enough!
MTR
Old 19 April 2000, 01:51 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well Done Chris...glad you got your pipe.

I was under the impression that the flange on the front of some centre sections was slightly different to the OE pipe.

There is a doughnut and some sprung bolts which sit between the downpipe and centre pipe which I have been told help to keep the two parts of the exhaust system together when they twist naturally through the engine revs.

I seem to remember somebody said they had to use exhaust paste to get a good clean join...obviously not with the magnex pipe by the sounds of it.

Chris...Sorry you got stuck behind me... My poor girlfriend followed me back from the gym in her Punto the other day and said it was bloody loud. Were there really flames....cool ... the only time that ever happend was on the old car with venting dump valve installed.

Cheers

Ian

[This message has been edited by igratton (edited 19-04-2000).]
Old 19 April 2000, 06:46 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys,

Just finished fitting the Magnex straight through de-cat pipe. I can confirm it's 100% Compatible with SS DP&BB ..... No problemo! The pre-load on the springs to the DP is greater than before, but nothing worth worying about. Still penty of flex.

Sounds awesome, bang pop etc. etc. Got my Bro. to stand behind the car and have a listen. On cue the car went BANG/POP in a big way and scared him sh1tless ...............result!

Pleasantly suprised at the extra torque! from reading other posts, I wasn't expecting that much. Chuffed to bits.

Sub 14 Sec. 1/4's HERE WE GO!!!!!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 19 April 2000, 08:54 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

I am running the following combo:
Downpipe

Magnex silenced mid section

Magnex B/Box

K&N Panel Filter

The car is MY93 WRX and pops/flames only when Im being a bit overkeen in accelerating and glance off the rev limiter.

More recently it has started doing it just pootling round.

At full chat, the flame (Im told) just fills the B/Box but sounds great

If I was to go for a Non-Recirculating Dump Valve and/or Induction kit, can I expect this to get louder/larger flames??

Cheers

Richie.

Old 23 April 2000, 11:38 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Richie,
Does your magnex centrepipe have a cat? If so, chances are no. But if you have a complete non-cat system, then yes, with a non-recirc dump valve, your car will run very rich indead and your exhaust will make even more pop pop bang noises

What car do you have?
Cem
Old 24 April 2000, 04:09 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Cem,

Mine is a MY93 WRX. The front CAT has gone as has the mid section CAT. The centre section is the Magnex with resonator.

I had a test run in a similar car (Cheers Dan) fitted with a Bailey dump valve and P/cross Ind kit and was mightily impressed, lovely noise (How it should be!).

Has anyone got or tried the Forge Motorsport Dump Valve, if so any good?

Cem, which setup do u run, I know your a fan of the noisier motors

Cheers

Richie
Old 25 April 2000, 09:15 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hello,

I have the straight thru Scoobysport system, used to have a non-recirc dumpvalve, but got rid of it because of its wimpy 'sqeaky' sound. But the popping and banging was brilliant.

Cem