Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2000, 09:47 AM
Mark Johnson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has happened to me before and was blamed on over filling of oil but I don't think it was this.

I have a totally standard MY98.
The car has done 36,000 miles and was last serviced at 30,000, I havent put any oil in since the service and always use UL from Shell, Esso or BP.

When I floor it in 5th gear at anywhere between 70 and 90 the car kicks back at me. I have tried it in 4th at similar speeds and it didnt happen and then gone back to 5th gear and it has happened.
This is particulalry frustrating on the motorways when you are trying to get away from some loony tailgater.

Anybody got any ideas as to what it is as this has happened occasionally since I have had the car (15,000 miles)

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 01 May 2000, 08:17 AM
Gilbert-RA
Scooby Newbie

I am not quite sure what you mean by _kicks back at you_.

I have what might be a similar problem under the same conditions. (My WRX feels as if it has hit a brick wall and then instantly recovers.) I have been advised that it is caused by the ECU sensing overboost and thus cutting the ignition to avoid damage, so duff sensor, duff ECU or (God forbid) overboost are possibilities. I have to find some knowledgeable soul to check it for me
Hope it doesn't cost too much.

Gilbert
Old 01 May 2000, 11:00 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

sounds like your right-overboost, especially as it happens in a high gear, and lowesh revs i suspect,i've had other turbo'd cars that have done this,fit a boost gauge and you will see that you get slight overboost when heavy throttle in higher gears at lower revs,it should not do this under heavy acceleration through the lower gears with high revs as for some reason (dont know the exact)you dont seem to produce as much boost when driving like this.

check out the faq as i think i've seen something about the solenoid that controls pressure to the wastegate sticking and this would cause a problem,degrease it with some sort of solvent i would expect.

hope this makes sense and helps
paul

Old 02 May 2000, 12:33 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I cured the overboost problem on my car by replacing the standard (for STI 3) 2 way boost control solenoid with a 3 way one. The new solenoid controls boost extremely well, holding at exactly 1.1bar max.

Your problem may be fouling in the control pipes, as suggested previously... If you have any doubt as to your ability to sort this yourself, don't! You can easilt damage your engine by failing to reassemble and secure the control system correctly.

Moray
Old 02 May 2000, 04:50 AM
light12
Scooby Regular

the overboost is probably because of a clogged restrictor you can try cleaning this yourself the restrictor is a little bress piece with a hole its located in the hose
leading from the actuator to the manifold
if you just feel the hose you will feel the lump it makes. clean it with what ever and see if it helps. eitan
Old 02 May 2000, 04:51 AM
light12
Scooby Regular

eitan

[This message has been edited by light12 (edited 02-05-2000).]
Old 03 May 2000, 08:40 AM
Mark Johnson
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your advise as it is still under warranty and I am not mechanical I will get it checked out on its next service in the next couple of weeks.

Mark