Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Quickshift - should I/should'nt I?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2000, 04:49 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering having the Prodrive quickshift fitted to my MY00 uk turbo. However, I am worried that by reducing the time taken for gear changes by changing the linkages, you are simply simulating "banging" through the gears on a normal gearbox - ie not being mechanicaly sympathetic. Is there any grounds for my fears? Can any damage be caused? Is there a marked difference in gearstick travel? Is it easy to fluff gear changes? Are standing start times reduced?

Any comments appreciated
Old 18 May 2000, 04:58 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you had an older car, I'd properly say yes!!

I have a MY97 car, with quickshift. It's quite notchy, but much better than without quickshift!!

I'm getting a MY99 car now, and the throw on it is similar to the quickshift I have now, except it's a lot smoother!!

I had quickshift before and loved it, but on a new car, I wouldn't bother!!
Old 18 May 2000, 06:47 PM
Pilot
Scooby Newbie

Hi

I don´t get it. I am also considering a quickshift for my MY99. Looking in the pricelist of Prodrive you´ll see a quickshift for a MY99. Then why does Prodrive bother?
Anyone else has experience with this stuff?

rgds
dennis
Old 18 May 2000, 09:20 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

I took delivery of my MY00 in March without the quick shift as it was out of stock. I had it fitted two weeks later and it has certainly improved gear changing. Travel is only reduced by about 10%, but this is enough difference when really pushing it through the box. The change is more positive and it goes where you shove it without a fight. With or without it the MY00 has a hell of a lot better feel than my MY98 which I had for 2 years.

Prodrive dropped it from the handling pack on the MY00 (not sure if that was also true for the MY99) but I got it thrown in with the handling and performance package by my garage. On its own I think they are asking about £250 which is a bit steep unless you are into track days or beating up the back roads with manic gear changes.

Is it an improvement - yes. Is it worth the price - no.

Ken
Old 19 May 2000, 01:46 PM
Anil Ootam
Scooby Regular

Cool

In the back of the latest 'Japanese' car magazines (the ones you can buy off the shekf in WHSmith) - it's got a picture of a red MX5 on the front, there is an advert that is advertising MY97 quickshifts for about £50......

Can't vouch for the quality or anything, but the info might be useful.

Anil.