Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Int. Power Delivery ????????

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2000, 11:12 PM
Perry Graf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've just bought myself a K reg WRX. The cars a little gem, when it goes properly the performance is truely mind blowing. The problem I have is that for some reason it intermitantly has a power feathering problem. There seems to be no common connection, cold/hold, low gears/high gears, air density etc etc. I can drive to work in the morning and the car is really responsive, I can drive the car at lunch time and it becomes totally int. when the fault occurs the accelation goes all over the place. I can be pulling away hard in first change to second, hit a MASSIVE flat spot and then all of a sudden drive through it. I could think of hundreds of possible causes, crap in fuel filter, lambda sensor, a plug breaking down, air flow meter, etc etc. Rather than spend thousands of pounds replacing bit by bit I'm hoping someone else had heard of this problem. Any help would be extremely gratfully recieved. PLEASE HELP !!
Old 09 June 2000, 12:27 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Gavin,

Who's Penny?

Perry,

Have you had the car serviced recently, and did it come with a service history of some sort? You may be able to find how long the plugs etc have been in the car.

From your rather brief description of the problem, it's hard to guess at the problem... Does the car missfire?

I would urge that you take great care if you do try to clean up the airflow meter... you could do more damage than good.

It may be worth checking the wiring and the ECU... a failure here may well appear to be completely unrelated to engine and enviromental states.

Moray
Old 09 June 2000, 12:31 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Perry,

I would recommend you take the car to a garage for diagnostic checks... If you don't have anyone any more local to you (Chippenham), I can recommend the guys at Powerstation in Cheltenham (01242 238400)... which is about 40 miles north of Bristol.

Moray
Old 09 June 2000, 12:31 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Try simple things first, AFM as Gavin said and ECU reset with decent fuel in the car, take it for a spin with 4 big heavy mates in the car for an uphill blast and from 2000RPM in 4th gear floor the throttle. Takes a while for ECU to learn new parameters so don't expect instant miracles

Super Megaphone!!!! Blimey! Sounds interesting!

A few 95 cars have had dodgy coil packs...
Old 09 June 2000, 09:04 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Can you give a detailed description of all the bits on your car...air filter, type of fuel used etc etc...

Old 09 June 2000, 09:15 AM
Perry Graf
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the response, the car is nearly standard. It has a Super Megaphone exhaust, and a K&N replacement eliment. They are the only two perfomance related mods. PS It was flat as a turd this morning. Doh !!!!
Old 09 June 2000, 10:32 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Perry,

Do you have a boost gauge fitted ?

If you do, what are the readings ? If not, I would strongly recommend it as it also works as a "barometer" to how the car is running.

The AFM is also worth checking - take it off the car and see if there is any oil on it. If there is, clean it off with cotton buds and water then allow to dry.

Thanks

Gavin

(Updated to correct name - Sorry)

[This message has been edited by GavinP (edited 09-06-2000).]
Old 09 June 2000, 01:38 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Perry,

My apologies - must have been still asleep!

As Moray said - be gentle with the AFM, it is fairly delicate - but not as fragile as later models!

Thanks Moray - "Penny" what am I on - and I thought I'd got over my obsession with money...

Gavin

[This message has been edited by GavinP (edited 09-06-2000).]
Old 09 June 2000, 02:01 PM
Perry Graf
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Gee, thanks guys I'm amazed at just how many people there are out there who are willing to help. I would like to take it to a garage but I know what will happen. The little beast will perform perfectly !!!
The engine does not misfire, I've tried both normal and super unleaded, neither makes any changes. How do I reset the ECU ? I've looked for the airflow meter and I guess it the unit just after the intercooler. It's so frustrating when I know the car will and does go like hell. It always seems to go flat at the worst times. Pulling out of junctions, pulling out to overtake etc, etc.
At the worst the car was going up a mediumly steep hill and it would not want to go over 70MPH (opps, should'nt be doing more anyway !). The usual problem is feeling the power feathering on hard acceleration.
Again a huge thanks to everyone how has taken the time to help.
Old 09 June 2000, 07:31 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Perry,

The AFM is near the air filter (near the drivers-side front shock absorber). It looks like a black cylinder with a plug going into it.

To clean it, you need to remove the pipes/airbox either side and you will see a metal "u" inside.

I used cotton buds and some plain water to give it a wipe down.

Thanks

Gavin