Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Mongoose Systems + Link

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2000, 03:33 PM
Mark Brown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just bought a WRX and it is on it`s way as I type this from Japan. I was looking at buying a full Mongoose system from the turbo back. Does anyone know what a Mongoose system sounds like? If I was to fit a LINK ECU, can this be taken out at a future date and put into another Impreza?
Old 07 June 2000, 04:19 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Can't comment on the Mongoose as I don't have one.

The Link can be swapped to a different car but there are three types available depending on the year of the car - see
Old 07 June 2000, 07:45 PM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mongoose system is comparatively quiet on tickover, very loud on the move(bit boomy & wearing on Motorways) and looks very subtle& unpretentious (4" tailpipe) - does hang a bit low, very good value IMO in terms of power-per-£.
It isn't as flash as the latest twin-dump downpipe systems with the flange not particularly well matched to the turbo/wastegate but the general consensus seems to be that a straight swap for the standard system (sans both cats) will liberate 20-25 bhp or more.
Not bad for £480 but it is a pain having to put the complete old system back on every time MOT time comes around.
Old 09 June 2000, 12:02 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

RobAnderson

20-25bhp!
The Mongoose is very good value for money, as a straight swap. It will give you more low dwon torque. Top end wise expect about 5bhp only! - this depends on whose rollers - probably about 5-10 bhp at Power engineering and about 0-5 hp at Powerstation
You can tell the difference and you can hear the exhaust more.

No exhaust system will give you 20-25 bhp, unless your living in fantasy land?

I have the BPM twin dump - I reckon I got no more top end horsepower - but horse power is not relevant - you should concentrate on the torque.

Notice how the UK Subaru's with Prodrive pack can almost keep up with the imports cos the torquw is similar

Old 09 June 2000, 12:04 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

I also have a WRX and have a full Mongoose system on it. I agree with Rob, subtle looks and sounds superb. It really does sound loud without cats and especially when combined with a Pipercross indcution kit.

Worth a look for sure.

Cheers,

Jon.
Old 09 June 2000, 01:14 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Steve...

Beg to differ mate!!!!!!!

My Mongoose gave me an extra 20bhp, with a before an after power run. Harj produced the same figures as well...

A unichip was fitted prior to the exhaust going on and the figures were low. The mongoose was fitted without cats & the figures went up by 20bhp. Obviously this would not happen on a standard ECU, but it just proves how restrictive the standard system is and how free flowing the mongoose is!

Shaun.
Old 09 June 2000, 01:52 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Take a look at
Old 10 June 2000, 06:18 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i have a full cat-less system from the turbo down and a link ECU. i have checked the emissions on wednesday and my car would pass the MOT TEST without cats. just if it wasn't for the regulations i would not need to swap any thing when mot time comes!!!

i will just keep on dreaming

sam