Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

magnex centre section

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2000, 09:18 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone got the magnex centre decat pipe fitted with the small box inline, I wanted one that was straight through but cannot seem to find one. And was unsure of the silenced versions power difference/restriction or does anyone have one for sale ?
Old 19 May 2000, 09:24 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Im running the following:

GpA Downpipe

Magnex centre section (with box)

Magnex Tailpipe (6x4")

I can't comment on the difference the centre pipe made as I had the Magnex put on together. Before I put the Downpipe on, the Magnex had made a difference, it seemed to pull better and the noise is fantastic

I can highly recommend them, I had no probs and the quality is excellent.

Richie
Old 19 May 2000, 09:31 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Robert, Have you tried Falkland Performance centre in Glenrothes, Scotland? I got the centre section with a box from them a short while ago and they had the straight through items on stock.
Old 19 May 2000, 09:44 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

would anyone have falklands phone number ?
Old 19 May 2000, 09:58 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

01592 773677 is Falklands Number
Old 19 May 2000, 10:22 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Give Roadrunner in Nottingham a call for MAGNEX De-Cat straight through section. I bought one from them about a month ago and at that time they had 7 more in stock.

With Zero Cats or Res. Boxes the car sounds awesome & pulls like a horse. Can't recomend it enough!

Chris
Old 20 May 2000, 12:03 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I was told by Falkland that the performance of the boxed and the straight through pipe are the same. The boxed pipe reduced the noise levels a bit, but I was promised that performance is not compromised!!

Old 20 May 2000, 07:07 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

The silenced/'boxed' centre pipe is restrictive, and harbours performance. I had a cat-less silenced/'boxed' pipe, and changed it for a de-cat de-silenced pipe (Scorpion - £69) and it has made a performance and audible difference!!

Magnex no longer manufacture a non-silenced de-cat pipe! or so I was told by Falkland/ABP and enyone else I spoke to!

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 20-05-2000).]
Old 20 May 2000, 07:45 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Cool

thanks guys i telephoned road runners and they are the only poeple that can get a hold of magnex decat sections without the silencer as they are made as a special order only, at 25 at a time so mines on order and it will take 2 weeks so if anyone else wants one ring them and put your name on one at £92.50inc VAT they are also the cheapest for magnex..
Old 24 May 2000, 01:24 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Robert (or anyone else),
What is the telephone number of Road runners?
I want to buy the mid-section without the resonator.

Dimitris
Old 24 May 2000, 01:58 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

£92?? the Scorpion one is only £69. How much difference can there be in a straight stainless steel pipe. These are available overnight from motech!
Old 25 May 2000, 03:46 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

I called David in Motech and he told me that the Scorpion mid-section will NOT fit unless the backbox is also Scorpion. The Magnex one is just the standard pipe and can be combined with any back box or downpipe.
Old 25 May 2000, 10:39 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Is this true?

I know of one person with a Scorpion centre section NOT mated to a Scorpion back-box.

Might be worth double checking?

Andrew
Old 28 May 2000, 08:50 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

I have a magnex centre section for sale if anyone interested. It has the box.

Open to offers.
Paul
Old 28 May 2000, 09:40 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm chuffed to bit's with my Magnex mid-section, even though it is one of the boxed ones!

Just to figures to it, have a look at the results from PowerStation's rolling road!!
Old 29 May 2000, 01:31 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Andy, could you clarify your comment?
Did the mid-section worsen the performance?
Wasn't the older measurement in Power Engineering's rolling road at a different day?

Dimitris.
Old 30 May 2000, 11:24 AM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I have ordered my decatted, desilenced center section. Can I expect I bit more noise from my otherwise quiet little car?
I just have the Magnex oval back box at present.
More 'boxer beat' and screaming at high revs are always welcome
Old 30 May 2000, 11:32 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Is it louder???

Put it like this, I bought my SS backbox for my MY97, and it was a pleasent noise, but not loud enough!

I had the SS downpipe fitted a week later. Incredible increases in performance and noise!!

I picked up my new MY99 car with both the SS bits, and the Magnex mid-section. I turned into the road where my parents live, and the front door was open before I could park up!! It looks like my mum knows the sound of the boxer engine!!!

So to answer your question, it will be a 'little' louder!!!

Enjoy the noise!

Andy
Old 30 May 2000, 12:14 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Dimitris,

The measurement at Power Engineering was for my old car!!

If you look at the results for PowerStation, you'll see that cars with mid sections faired ok!

I think if my old car was at PowerStation the results would have been about 220bhp, rather than the over optimistic 248bhp!!

At the end of the day, the results should only be compared with similar spec'd cars on the same day!!

Read into the results whichever way you want!! At the end of the day, I've notice more power with my current car, than the last one!

The difference between the two cars I've owned is the mid-section. Standard on my MY97 and Magnex on my MY99!

Only other things different are the air inductor, and the age/mileage of the cars!

I only wish I could have tried the Magnex on my old car!

Although you would expect a difference if you are reducing the restrictions in the exhaust system!!

If I were to buy again, I would say that the downpipe, mid section, backbox and air inductors are must haves!!

Andy
Old 30 May 2000, 06:00 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dmel:
<B>I called David in Motech and he told me that the Scorpion mid-section will NOT fit unless the backbox is also Scorpion. The Magnex one is just the standard pipe and can be combined with any back box or downpipe.[/quote]

This is NOT true - I have a prodrive backbox, and standard frontpipe and it fits fine!
Old 30 May 2000, 07:33 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Question

Dear GaryC,
I did call David at Motech, 01933 443390, and his answer was quite clear. The mid-section will not fit unless the back-box is Scorpion. Nevertheless, someone else told me the same thing as you did.
Could it be that he didn't want to sell me just the mid-section by itself and wanted me to take the box as well???
Old 31 May 2000, 12:56 PM
Stolly
Scooby Newbie

AndyTang...
i am planning to buy the SS downpipe and SS backbox....but Pete at ScoobySport says they dont make centre pipes....so do u recommend tha Magnex centre section???

i am looking for NO CATS...what do u think??
thanks
Old 31 May 2000, 08:46 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Question

i rang road runner today to find out when these center sections are coming in early next week was the reply and 14 out of 25 are allready sold..
Old 01 June 2000, 11:42 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stolly,

I case you haven't read the bits above!! , yes I would recommend the Magnex mid-section!!

Andy

Old 01 June 2000, 01:20 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

Andy Tang , how much work is it to change the standard cat'd mid section (STI V5)to the Magnex one mentioned ? Is it doable by myself (as I have no mechanical knowledge)and as you said it will fit straight in between SS back box and SS down pipe ?

..Ian
Old 01 June 2000, 01:51 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I got my dealer to fit it, but I've been told that it's JUST four bolts!!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!!

Also I've heard stories of people being charged £5 to £10 to get it fitted at an axhaust place! 10 minute job I've been told!!

Andy
Old 01 June 2000, 07:43 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just to add my 2p worth!

The Magnex centre is an easy DIY job. One thing you will notice is that when fitting it to a SS Downpipe & BB, the flexi. sprung joint between the DP & Centre will be alot tighter that the original. i.e. the pre-load on the springs will be greater, therefore the joint won't be quite as flexible. However there is still plenty of give in it and it shouldn't cause problems.

Get ready for more noise and wider grins!! Just hope you have understanding (petrified ) neighbours like mine!

Cheers
Chris
Old 06 June 2000, 06:29 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Question

How does a de-cat exhaust system pass the MOT?

Is it a case of putting the cats back on and if so, can you get away with just putting the centre section back in?

I was thinking of getting a SS downpipe but I hear its not an easy job to replace them DIY and I'm not fond of paying a garage to do it every year.
I read somewhere that jap imports can pass the emissions test easier than UK models. Is there any truth in this?

JMA
Old 08 June 2000, 03:09 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just to let everyone know that Road Runner in Nottingham have 40 of the MAGNEX straight through catless, res boxless mid sections on order for delivery 14th june they have 15 left unreserved (as of 3 minutes ago).

Any int?.....0115 9781173.

....Ian

Old 14 June 2000, 06:16 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Smile

hi road runner informed me that my center section will be in my possesion by friday dinner time yippie

Quick Reply: magnex centre section