HKS SQV again

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2000, 11:01 PM
Gevor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi!
Installed the above dump valve to standard MY99. The kit works fine, dosen't vent the air on idle etc. The thing that worries me is that it make a different sound from the one I've heard before (just a loud "woosh" isntead of a "tss-tss-tss" sound). And there's a bolt on the back of the valve, which controls the spring. Do I need to adjust it somehow, or should I leave it "as is"?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 15 June 2000, 11:08 PM
Sonnyrider
Scooby Regular

Smile

Best to leave it well alone.
Old 16 June 2000, 07:06 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nick
Do you get any backfiring on lift-off? I`ve taken mine off on recommendation from ABP motorsport until they`ve spoken to HKS Europe. They also advised me not to mess with the adjustment screw as it did not alter things that much. If yours is working fine then i would leave things alone.
As to the noise, you can buy differant fins to change the sound, £15-00 each.

Paul
Old 16 June 2000, 07:20 AM
Gevor
Scooby Regular

Well, I guess I'll leave the screw alone.

WALKER:
I installed the kit yesterday and drive the car for a couple of hours since then. There were a couple of loud bangs on low RPM on idle, but not more.
BTW I ordered my kit form Japan (Taka Kaira,
Old 16 June 2000, 07:48 AM
mprocureur
Scooby Regular

Gevor,

What was the exact reference of this kit, i've got a MY00, i think i should go for the same kit as yours

Mike
Old 16 June 2000, 10:34 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Nick,

I have a spare standard vane for the sqv somewhere... I replaced mine with a different one to get the valve to "whoosh" rather than squeek, so maybe this is what you have.

If you look at the vent on the valve, the "whoosh" vane was basically an open (purple/magenta?) cylinder held in position by three vanes... the "squeek" vane was a more elaborate, pointy (silver?) affair.

I suggest you don't adjust the preload unless you are doing serious changes to the boost levels the car is making.

Moray
Old 18 June 2000, 12:09 PM
Wreckleford
Scooby Regular

Gevor,
The sound you are describing as hearing previously form a SQV sounds like compressor surge to me. This will happen if you mess around with the bolt and put the spring tension too high. In this way the valve is not able to open at all or does not open properly when you back off the throttle.
Old 18 June 2000, 12:10 PM
Wreckleford
Scooby Regular

Oh by the way, how were your experiences with ordering from Taka Kaira. Price, delivery time, profesionalism?
Old 18 June 2000, 03:41 PM
Gevor
Scooby Regular

mprocureur,
as far as I remember (don't have the box here) the label on the box said WRX '98-00, which means it should fit MY99 UK.

MorayMackenzie,
The valve came with a silver vain (looks like Mercedes Benz badge ). If I knew about the vanes before, I would have ordered it together with the valve...*sight.

Wreckleford,
The sales dept. of Taka Kaira was very helpful. It was definately cheaper than the same kit offered by GGR. The delivery took 4 days by EMS from Japan to Russia.

The kit came with all the necessary adaptors, bolts, hoses, etc. Installed in 15 mins.

Nick