which turbo

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2000, 10:33 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi
I have a my99 car with a TD04L turbo and link ECU. I am thinking of upgrading my turbo but to what?. I now realistically I would not be able to run any thing above lets say 18-19 psi due to the engine internals. So which one will provide the best performance improvement for a MY99 car a VF23,VF28 or even the VF22. I know the bigger the turbo the more air but also more lag. Some people have told me that a VF22 will be an over kill.

And also will I feel the lag difference between the VF28 and VF23 ?.
any comments

sam
Old 27 June 2000, 01:00 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

Sam,

the VF22 is way too big for your application, unless you really want to hold 30PSI all the way to the redline! :-) Also probably a bit of a challenge to keep on boost.. easier in a 22B due to higher displacement.

The VF23 is perhaps a bit more suitable, but again, I doubt you'de want to stress the engine that much....

The VF28 is perhaps the most sensible choice. Sure it doesn't have the flow at the top end of the 22 or 23, but you will get good boost from low down. With creative mapping you should be able to achieve about 1 bar boost at 2000RPM, now that will make the car very tractable and much more fun to drive more of the time.... any of these should be a drop-in replacement, but the wee plastic intake tube may end up being a few millimetres further towards the front of the car if fitting the VF22....

It's interesting watching me follow an STi V.. it's been described as a "rubber band effect" as the V comes on boost it pulls away, then when (after having a brew, making dinner and putting its feet up to watch the footie) my TD05L comes on full boost the rush is incredible and soon devours the gap again :-) If I upchange without falling out of my boost band, and quick enough not to stall the poor TD05L [dump valve is too small] then I'll outrun the STi V, but it's pretty hard work round country lanes, you have get the gears just right to keep the TD05L on boost, but by get it right and it can be devastatingly quick... same may well be true of a VF22, but it does have the advantage of roller bearings :-)

All IMVHO, of course....

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 27 June 2000, 10:58 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Cant really comment on the MY99 as mines the sti5.

I suspect the VF22 would be overkill as Pat states. Dont know where your getting 30psi from though Pat. I changed the VF28 to a VF22 on the sti5 and the difference was significant - loads more torque, no noticable turbo lag - in fact the torque peaked sooner. - and all this at 1.3 bar

I have a VF28 sitting in a bedroom at home, having only covered about 5000 miles - and hence in A1 condition - offers?
Old 27 June 2000, 05:47 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Steve,

30PSI figure is just what the VF22 *could* do... doesn't mean that you have to use it, but of course running less boost would be more efficient...

Interesting that you got your torque peak lower down, wouldn't have expected this, but again, it's interesting what you can do with mapping :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 27 June 2000, 10:49 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Question

posted the same one twice

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 27-06-2000).]
Old 27 June 2000, 10:51 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Question

thanks pat, Steve
i am not going to be running any more boost than what i am right now around 18-19psi. however i have been told that i could map the VF23 so that i don't get that much more lag than a VF28 and there shouldn't be that much of a price difference between the two when brand new . my turbo is quite small anyway so will i benefit from a slightly bigger one i.e. the VF28!!!!!

your comments appreciated
Old 29 June 2000, 06:50 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Sam,

as previously mentioned, you'de probably benefit from a VF28, perhaps even a VF23 as long as you don't go too wild! :-)

Cheers,

Pat.

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2000, 07:41 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Sam,

If you are going to the trouble and expense of changeing the turbo I would suggest that you go for at least a VF23... I suspect you would be wasting your money otherwise... a turbo is pretty expensive, so why change it to one that's only a little bigger what you can get most of these units for about the same money?

I suspect that you would do well to call Bob Rawle and ask him your questions... he will have tuned links on many cars with many different turbos.

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 29-06-2000).]
Old 02 July 2000, 10:13 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks moray, pat
I think I will be going for a VF22 if I am to change my turbo (VF22 is the cheapest of the three!!!). the problem that I am having right now is I can't hold the boost at the assigned level in high RPM as the small turbo seem to struggle- especially in lower gears.

however can any one who has changed their standard turbo to a bigger one define Lag for me ?. my car feels really strong from about 2500rpm but that depends on the gear that I am in so will I be experiencing more pronounced lag in higher gears and not as pronounced in lower gears ??