Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY00 recomended Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2000, 10:03 PM
jpratchett
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi.. Just about to pick up my shinny new MY00 UK spec Impreza Turbo. It's a company car but am fairly free to do what I want to it. Don't know where to start, perhaps new back box, or perhaps an ecu change. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 25 August 2000, 10:25 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Howdy... Plenty of options about...

Most start with giving the car better breathing... i.e. go for a more free-flowing exhaust and filter. Backbox is a logical first choice (scoobysport do a rather good one ) and then midsection and downpipe depending on how far you want to go. As far as the filter goes... could go for panel filter (such as K&N or ITG) or induction kit (such as K&N 57i or HKS)... again depends what you're after.

A worthwhile upgrade is to sort the handling of the car... Powerstation is a good place as they will remove bump-steer as well as sort the geometry. Of course, you could go for complete suspension kits (such as Leda), but you'll pay plenty for it!

Brakes are also pretty lousy but depends on whether you want to go out on the track (consider AP) or just road (upgraded pads, perhaps braided hoses and/or brake support).

As far as ECU's go... Link is a popular choice. Perhaps best to sort out more fundamental issues with the car first though (i.e. exhaust/filter and brakes).

If you've not had an Impreza before, you're best off driving it plenty first and deciding what you consider to be the weaker points of the car for yourself... then look into upgrading those.

Have fun!

Matthew
Old 25 August 2000, 10:33 PM
jpratchett
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Mat

Thanks for the your advice. Will a dealer be any help with the brake upgrades? Any specific brand of brake pad I should look for. Who do you recomend as a supplier of k&n Filters, Probibly just go for a pannel one. Thanks Again.
Old 25 August 2000, 10:57 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Mintex and Pagid are two of the more popular brake pad choices... both work well if bedded in correctly. Best bet is to use the bbs search facility to get more detailed information about brake upgrades and the options available. Bear in mind what you'll be using the car for (track/airfield days or just road use).

I used Roadrunner (0115 978 1173) for my K&N filter. Prices should be similar anywhere though (Demon Tweeks etc).

Matthew