Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport-magnex-scoobysport system too loud !

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2000, 12:00 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you should put the standard downpipe back on to quieten it down a bit. I'll give you 80 quid for the SS item!!

I think if you want "flames out the back" (forever imprinted on my mind - thanks Denz!) you need to keep the cats out of the system - putting one/both of the cats back in will quieten it down.

Alternatively try fitting the standard backbox back on - this will change the note again. If it works, maybe get a 2nd hand STi one (single pipe) which is a *little* louder than standard. I did this after I found just the SS backbox too loud! You'll have no trouble selling the backbox either.....just not to me!

Richard
Old 22 August 2000, 12:13 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

I still have my STi back box and could always try that with the decatted front but I think it was quite restrictive - the SS backbox pulls much better low down, even with the standard front bits.

I did think the SS backbox was quite loud when I first had it fitted but it is a nice noise

I will be keeping all my STi standard bits for when/if I get fed up of the noise.

On Thursday I will be trying the standard centre section with the ss front and back to see whether that is enough. If not the standard downpipe will go on then too.

Having been desperate to rid myself of the dreaded felines I now find I don't really like the smell of my 'raw' exhaust fumes. Maybe it is the octane booster?

Does anyone know if the GGR catted mid section will fit standard or scoobysport front and back bits ?

Old 22 August 2000, 12:39 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Eric,

I had the SS downpipe and backbox on their own for a while and found that when I changed the centre cat for a Magnex silenced pipe that it actually quietened the exhaust down It would seem that you should be changing the downpipe back again and keeping the centre de-cat if the noise (music to most!) is bothering you but you will miss the extra oomph after having had it on for a bit. Hope this helps.

Raymond.
Old 22 August 2000, 08:57 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Angry

Had my scoobysport downpipe and magnex silenced midsection fitted on Friday. Is it just me who doesn't like the sound of this system? The pleasant burble and growl on acceleration from the backbox and standard system has been replaced by a deafening rally car roar accompanied by lots of turbo whistling and wastegate flutter noises. The burble has changed to a harder edged thrum.
A couple of people have suggested changing the midsection back to standard. Do you think this will do the trick or should I just sod it and put my standard front bits back on. I don't really like the extra turbo noise.

I must say that the performance is incredible though perhaps it seems to have lost a bit low down compared to the backbox and standard system. Pickup on the motorway is amazing but the noise must be attracting police from 30 miles away and I would certainly trade that extra power for a bit more stealth and a more pleasant noise.

The garage had terrible problems removing the old downpipe - the bolts were all overtightened and stretched (thread stretched by at least a couple of mm) and sheared off or had to be chiseled off. Has anyone else had these problems?

On a side note I got more pops and bangs out of the backbox and standard system than the decat one though I doubt there were flames which by the sound of the bangs there might be from the decat one.

What is the best technique for flame outs ? I seem to get the most pops in traffic on the overrun in 1st or 2nd and odd bangs into roundabouts.
Old 22 August 2000, 01:39 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Eric I essentially have same set-up, but with prodrive backbox, and it is quieter but more characterful (IMO). Meet up some time and have a listen if you want. I might even be pursuaded to swap Backboxes if you are interested?
Old 22 August 2000, 04:53 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gary,
Yes it might be nice to meet up sometime.

There don't actually seem to be that many scoobys around here though last week there was a silver sti 3 parked next to me and my silver sti 5's regular dbm prodrive modded car park companion

I will let you know how I get on on thursday - the advice I have is now conflicting so it will be interesting to see what works, though I fear I may be back to standard plus back box for that low burble I like.
Old 22 August 2000, 05:23 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Where abouts in North West are you? There is a Grey STiV in the car park I park in (Central Manchester) - mail me as I don't wish to advertise where either of us leave our pride and joy!!
Old 22 August 2000, 06:57 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't like that beautiful sound ??

Ohh well horses for courses.

If you remove anything to make it quieter remove the midsection, my STI 5 had the SS back box put on first (louder than standard pipe) then I had the SS down pipe fitted (not much more noise except Turbo whine and monster performance kick) then last but no means least in my opinion the Magnex mid-section with NO res box (very loud indeed as you descibe but just as I like it ).

May be a Magnex midsection with res box is the key??

....Ian
Old 22 August 2000, 07:27 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Err, dont like the rally car sounds?! Then, excuse me but why buy an essentially Group A rallying exhaust system?
Old 22 August 2000, 07:33 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

This is the definitive solution - i know because i run it. SS DP-magnex-SS back box

Simply change the std ecu for a Link and it all gets much quieter (and much faster)

Sunil
Old 22 August 2000, 10:00 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 23 August 2000, 09:09 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

I have the silenced magnex mid-section.

Many of the rally scoobs seem quieter than mine now does with more of a burble than a thrum. It's nice when blasting though the countryside at high revs - it actually seems quieter then (?) but the sound at about 3000 revs in traffic on my way to work is not so fruity.

Combinations will be tried tomorrow, thanks for all the advice. Though some of it is now conflicting
Old 25 August 2000, 03:42 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Eric,

I know exactly what you mean. I've just recently added Scorpion dp and ms to the SS bb I had. I too find the noise too loud for my liking (or what I was used to). After 1-2 days I wanted to change it back but decided to give it a bit more time to see if I get used to it. Will go to the Fleet meet next TUE to listen to other set-ups - hopefully will find a better combination, e.g. std dp + de-cat ms; or de-cat dp + std ms; etc.

If you discover a "magic" solution could you please let me know? I'll try to keep an eye on this threat for responses but if it's not too much trouble for you please e-mail me direct.

Many thanks,

Andrei
(Still with the full system)
Old 25 August 2000, 04:02 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I posted something similar to this on the 22B bbs.
Basically I want a SS downpipe to add to my SS backbox but didn't want the extra noise. A good suggestion that was well reicieved was to have the downpipe lagged to reduce in cabin volumes including turbo whine.
I haven't gone for the pipe yet and posts like this make me nervous!

Neil
Old 29 August 2000, 06:39 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

OK. Thursday tried std midsection with the scoobysport DP and backbox. It seemed to take some of the hard edge off the sound but was really just as loud. I now have the std downpipe and midsection back on and have returned my DP to scoobysport. All those wastegate noises and turbo whines have gone which is nice but so has the razor sharp throttle response

I will be listening to everyones exhausts at northern meet 4 and have high hopes for the GGR system with hi-flow cat. Apart from keeping a cat in the system it appears to have a much larger mid silencer than the tiny little one you get with the magnex centre section and they do claim it is quiet so maybe I could be tempted. I also suspect that if my backbox was a bit quieter to start with I could live with the increased noise of the downpipe and midsections. But for now I will live with the system as it is.

If anyone else finds a suitably quiet full system or has the GGR system please post here or email me.

Cheers all,

Eric.
Old 29 August 2000, 10:33 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 30 August 2000, 08:50 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Cheers MTR,
I will try this when the car goes in for a service in a couple of thousand miles.

Eric.