Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox bust

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2000, 09:03 AM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

The 4th/5th synchro has just cried enough on my 95 WRX. Allied to the fact that 1st and second gears are a bit noisy means its time for a swap or rebuild.

Has any one either got a GOOD WRX box or any advice on rebuilding the original. How do I go about obtaining parts for the repair? Are the bits the same as a UK car (apart from the ratios)? Will it break the bank? Help!
Old 04 September 2000, 12:48 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy,

some info I collected when my gearbox blew...

Most expensive option was the Prodrive WRC active transmission, UKP 35-80k depending on spec. Worth more than the car, so give that a miss :-)

Next was a rebuild by Probaco in Holland. Will give you a 6 speed dog box with torsen diffs, Group A spec for USD 12500. Quite expensive, but a lot of fun!

Getting slightly more realistic, you could get a cryogenically treated gearset from Prodrive; that's about UKP 2k for the parts. Should be stronger than your original....

Quaife are working on a 5 speed gearset for the Impreza; cost depends on type (synchro or dog), UKP 2-3k for the gearset.

Gryphonic make a 6 speed gearset, not sure how much this will cost; must ask them at some stage.

Down under, BPM do a nice strong gearset. Unfortunately they haven't replied to my mail about prices yet... should be "reasonable" especially with the Aus exchange rate :-) Also the Rigoli brothers know a thing or two about gearboxes... I dunno if they sell them but it might be worth a look.

You can get new gears for your box, they'll be about UKP 120 each. Also, you can get the internals shot peened for about UKP 300... might be worth a look..

Rebuild fees vary greatly. To get it done "right" (Group N spec) you'll be looking at about UKP 800. To get it done by a local place, I was quoted UKP 175 to strip and put back together....

You could get another gearbox. Prices vary; I was lucky to get another STi gearbox for about UKP 500. Yours shouldn't cost more than UKP 800 for a replacement unit, but they can be found for less (even less than I paid, if you look long and hard enough).

Since your synchros have gone, odds are it's not a torque problem; I vapourised 3rd gear! A standard box will get you going again, but if you're running lots of torque, you can expect trouble again....

Hope this helps,

Pat.