Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2nd gear performance problem strikes

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2000, 06:58 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Some time ago there was a thread about 2nd gear performance problems. I have experienced this for the first time today (MY99 10K miles). Has anybody out there come up with a fix or got a dealer to fix it? Now I know why some of you are so annoyed.

Brendan
Old 07 September 2000, 09:37 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to here that For me it has spoilt the whole experience of owning the car. I wish I could take it back and swap it for another one, It should not do it on a high performance car.

On the plus side, Heritage Leicester did somthing that cured the problem for a very short while. I fitted a downpipe and it does it less often now.

Old 07 September 2000, 09:41 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Angry

In fact I think that there is enough evidence now on this board that I am going to dig up all the old posts and confront them with it. How about an update on how everyone else is getting along with the problem.
Old 07 September 2000, 11:42 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Is the the problem when letting the car run in 2nd for a while, say overrunning up to a roundabout, then planting it on the way out?

I've noticed on my boost gauge that I sometimes get 11psi ish, instead of the 14 or so. So I either blip it or quick change up to 3rd.

Confused and/or overprotective ECU was the conclusion from previous threads I think.

Richie.

Old 08 September 2000, 12:53 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brendan,

Perhaps you would get a more positive and informed set of replies if you contacted the "after market" boys: ScoobySport, ScoobyMania, Bob Rawle etc as they are probably aware of this issue and have some experience of fixing it. I have a MY99 engine in my RB5 WRSport and have not come across this issue as yet, does it affect most MY99 cars? I am interested in the outcome of any investigations you carry out as we (the collective group of us ) may need evidence to get the problem fixed under warranty.

Best of luck with the enquiries

Yex
Old 08 September 2000, 10:05 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

If it is the ECU then why wait 10K to do it? I have only had this once so far so hope that it will not happen again. I am in for my 1st annual service next month so will get it investigated but do not hold out much hope. Has anyone thought of having an independent examination of the car to investigate this problem. I was wandering whether to try one of the car mags or TV programmes to see if they wanted to investigate for a consumer item. Not sure if this would cause even more problems for our residuals though

Anybody got the number for Subaru UK technical help if there is such a thing?

Brendan

[This message has been edited by BHORT (edited 08 September 2000).]

Old 08 September 2000, 01:02 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I now believe this "characteristic" is common on all UK cars. Dealers can reduce the extent of this by reducing the boost (there is a restricter somewher that can be drilled to suit). When I had my MY99 I didn't have the problem for the first 4k miles or so. It then appeared, and gradually seemed to get worse. My dealer found that my car was producing above average boost (15psi+) and suggested the restriction. I decided not to go for te restrictor as this would advesely effect perfomance in other areas.
Old 08 September 2000, 01:40 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

I have just spoke to my dealer's service manager who said that he had driven a car himself with the same problem and it will be investigated at my 15K service on 13th October. He did not however say if he could fix it.

Brendan

Old 08 September 2000, 04:50 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Its a built in safety feature to preserve the integrity of the drivetrain linkages. One solution is to dip the clutch ever so slightly when you notice it and you`ll get full boost again.
Now you are aware of it.... be prepared for it to strike.

K