Engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2000, 04:15 PM
Daniel
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I am curious, have anyone of you modified your standard (not sti) engine to STI specifications? Is it even possible to do it, and what would it cost?

regards

Daniel
Old 25 September 2000, 12:07 AM
Daniel
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply, i really appreciate it

Yes, IM in sweden have a very negative attitude against modifications of the car (and of course, there is a good reason for them to have this attitude which i can understand to some extent). I think you guys in the UK are lucky to have Prodrive and other companies which are sanctioned by IM in the UK (there is no equivalent party in Sweden unfortunately).

My idea was to wait for a while, until the guarantee period ends for my scoob, and during that time try to get as much information as possible about what parts the STI engine is built from. Regulations are loosening up here in sweden now somewhat, allowing you to drive an STI spec. Impreza on public roads.

My aim is to (in a not to distant future) rebuild the car, step by step, starting with the road holding parts (which are very vital imho), and then get parts like a strenghten crankshaft, forged pistons, the "closed-deck-block", etc, and try to find a engine builder with a good reputation to assemble the whole parts the correct way.

Of course, it would perhaps be a simpler operation just to sell the scoob and look for a original STI (just have to convert it to LHD). Time will tell what i'll do.

Thanks

Daniel

ps. do Cilti have a WWW page? ds.
Old 25 September 2000, 12:51 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Hmm,
I disagree. If you're going for fairly serious mods I think it's irrelevant what engine you go for 'cos most of the bits will be replaced.
Old 25 September 2000, 10:11 AM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Daniel,

it is important to understand that the EU spec engine and the wrx/sti are not the same at all...thus if you are after serious power then it is better to start with the wrx/sti engine in the first place - however a number of companies offer mild tuning options - including some in france like efjie who are familiar with LHD plumbing (these will normally be limited to exhaust,ecu-chip,intercooler,turbo changes only - nothing internal. It is widely acknowledged that the lower spec engine internals are not really safe beyond around 270BHP without uprating pistons and other internal parts - thus other LHD tuners such as Cilti (also in france) change the block to a WRX one - their MC01 is rated at 320 HP ! An added complication of newer (phase II) engines is the revised ECU which does not have a piggy back chip slot and has so far proved too complex (encrypted) for most tuning companies to consider working on - a complete ECU replacement (link/Motec etc)remains the only (and expensive) option - this is the case on the wrx/sti engines too.
Superchips and similar offerings are relatively crude and work by intercepting the signal to the ecu and effectively fool the ecu into thinking boost level is lower than it really is - these are not a good idea in terms of engine longevity !

you should also be aware that Subaru in Sweden are less tolerant than other countries of any kind of modifications when it comes to the terms of the manufacturer's warranty.

regards,

Paul W
Old 25 September 2000, 05:06 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Daniel

Cilti don't have a web site but details as follows:

Cilti Sport
Z.A.E. LE PATUS
34730 St Vincent de Barbeyrargues
Tel. 04.67.59.80.65
Fax 04.67.59.90.22

NB - their complete MC01 conversion is 98.000 FFR

- get saving !!!!

Efjie have a website...

Team EFJIE
7 et 15 rue Fénélon
41000 Blois
Tél. 02.54.45.54.45
Fax 02.54.43.22.82
Old 25 September 2000, 05:29 PM
Daniel
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks again Paul,

Considering their price, i really think that the genuine article will be the preferred choice.

Best regards

Daniel

>Cilti don't have a web site but details as >follows:

>Cilti Sport
>Z.A.E. LE PATUS
>34730 St Vincent de Barbeyrargues
>Tel. 04.67.59.80.65
>Fax 04.67.59.90.22

>NB - their complete MC01 conversion is >98.000 FFR

>- get saving !!!!

Old 27 September 2000, 05:23 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Why not look into finding and fitting an STI engine, rather than trying to uprate a standard engine to STI spec?