Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Can I modify a K&N 57i kit to fit a 96MY UK

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2000, 02:08 PM
IAN LOVETT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm sure I've read something on here to tell me this is do-able but I can't find it by searching. Can a '97 on kit be made to fit or is there a better option without going to the £238.26 Graham Goode kit or the similarly silly Blitz / HKS prices?

I know air filters have been done to death but I need more in-car turbo noises badly, so all help gratfully recieved.

Old 23 September 2000, 02:26 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Yes it can Ian, quite easily actually, I did it on my MY93 WRX.

The only thing which differs from the fitting guide is you need to use the existing piece of hose on the car not the flexible bit which comes with the kit to connect the filter to the baffled box type thing (black pastic between filter and engine).

The only concern I had was the ABS module. The brake pipes had to be be very slightly bent away from the filter to allow the bonnet to close fully. Also the filter itself needs to be held away ie close to the inner wing with some cable ties or similar to stop it touching the ABS.

Hope this helps, Ill try and sort some photos of the job if youre interested, email me.

Regards

Richie
Old 23 September 2000, 03:45 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Save up for an HKS !! I did on my 96MY and it sounds the dogs. Blitz probably sounds similar.
Probably just snobbery but I didn't want a K&N on my pride and joy, ok for my old 16vGTE (didn't make any noise difference).

Yours not very helpfully,
Neil.

Old 23 September 2000, 05:44 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the HKS, but that's just cause I've got one.

When I was looking for them I found that Pipercross do a filter for the early cars, about £80 from Demon Tweeks and the like.

It's upto you, but I was not going to bodge a Pre97 K&N kit to fit my MY93. Just because the Fitting is very important and needs to be very secure or it may lead to difficulties. Has been known for a loose fitted air filter to cause damage to the MAF sensor.

Anyway that's my 2peneth.

Muddy.
Old 25 September 2000, 01:27 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Its not a case of bodging said filter, it fits no problem. However I do understand K&N now make a filter for the early cars anyway.

The difference between the HKS/Blitz and the K&N is not worth the money in my opinion and the K&N sounds just as sweet. Pipercross wise, Im not a fan of the foam filters (known clogging problems) at all, hence I opted for a gauze variety....i.e K&N and saved myself £200 (in my case I got it 2nd hand) to boot. £200 is a downpipe which really makes a difference in anyones book!!.

Anyway Ian, let me know if you require further help fitting, but I would ring K&N and check availability of the MY96 Filters, unless you can find a cheap early one.

[This message has been edited by RichieC (edited 25 September 2000).]
Old 02 October 2000, 12:05 AM
IAN LOVETT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the replies regarding the filter situation. I contacted K&N directly and they do now make a kit to fit the 1994-97 UK spec’ Impreza Turbo, part number 57-0274.

I have now obtained and fitted the kit with no significant problems. The instructions were clear and the whole job took around 30 minutes though I didn’t like their suggested location (under the front spoiler) for the cold air pipe and will reroute it as soon as I get a chance. Subjectively the response through the gears feels sharper but the dominant effect is the whooshing noise on boost and the dump valve type noise as the throttle is lifted. Childish I know but a result as far as I’m concerned.