Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

FREE REPLACEMENT CLUTCHES?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2000, 01:54 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone heard of clutches being replaced by Subaru if yours suffers from clutch slip?
Old 05 September 2000, 08:22 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

My clutch is slipping (only on drag strip starts ) after 48K miles and also judders from cold.

I am going to see if my dealer can replace it under warranty. If not I will have an AP Racing clutch fitted as they actually work out cheaper .

I have a question though: If they won't replace my clutch under warranty will they replace my flywheel if it is damaged???

SimonM

Old 13 September 2000, 03:14 PM
ChrisW
Scooby Newbie

Just had my clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty at 18K (MY99) after cold start judders. All sorted now.

Chris.
Old 14 September 2000, 12:54 AM
howardb
Scooby Regular

My MY98 had its clutch changed due to slipping and a gearbox modification due to it occassionaly jumping out of 1st gear. All carried out under warranty, and the car was a full scoobysport model.
Old 14 September 2000, 09:34 AM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

there is copious documentation on this one in the archives - you need to pick a sympathetic dealer - but there was definitely a dealer bulletin and a revised part issued after the 98 cars started to suffer this en-masse.
There should be no judder at all on the impreza clutch - even when cold - this is immediately apparent after you have the revised part fitted. All work should be done FOC on warranty

Some scoring of the flywheel can occur and it is a good idea to get this replaced too.

The new clutch actually has a lighter + more pleasant action.

Don't fit an uprated clutch as this could lead to (much more expensive) gearbox failure - especially the second gear cog as this is not shot-peened (hardened) (except on the 22B) I have seen a number of stripped main gear shafts after owners fitted uprated clutches. You may find gearbox repairs refused under warranty if you fit anything other than the approved parts to your car.

Cynics say that Subaru deliberately fit a feeble clutch as this is cheaper to replace under warranty than a new gearbox.

I think there should have been a recall of the MY 98 cars - though I didn't complain when I owned one as my IM dealer at the time replaced everything without a murmur.

finally, I wish I had this facility for my sti that is beginning to show some judder - my 3rd party warranty doesn't cover clutches as this is deemed to be a 'consumable' item :-(

Paul W

Old 14 September 2000, 01:22 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Question

Chris
Do you know what actually causes the cold start clutch judders? My MY99 with 17k seems to be developing the same problem
Old 22 September 2000, 09:09 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

I can now say that the new clutch is a lot better....a mate has had his replaced along with the flywheel and it's a transformation...
Old 23 September 2000, 10:04 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Mine wasn't juddering, and was out of warranty - so it cost £565!

Chris
Old 04 October 2000, 12:54 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just got a new clutch fitted for £98 all-in as the engine was off for a swap (piston slap) anyway Quite happy with that!

Steve