Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

scorpion downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2000, 10:12 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody fitted one,i have a silenced hks backbox and i'm going to fit a catless downpipe leaving centre cat in place,does it make cabin very noisey.I've heard that the hks is loud,ss quieter but at over £80 more expensive than scorpion is it worth it when all their really doing is losing the cat .

stef, i've seen on the dyno that you had the downpipe fitted after the system,is the downpipe what makes it so noisey,it is on the outside anyway,how about inside?

does the pipe have fitting for the lambda sensor.

cheers Paul
Old 06 November 2000, 10:54 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

paul,

Ive fitted a full scorpion system to my WRX, it has a hole for the lambda in the downpipe but mine was in the frontpipe so i just blanked it off.

Sounds fine on my car.

regards
Daz
Old 08 November 2000, 08:36 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Scorpion downpipe has a small(half-size) aperture - effectively a blanking plate over half the turbo opening, thus torque will be no where near as significant as with a full sized aperture.

I went for a Falkland downpipe with full sized aperture, £170.

Old 08 November 2000, 11:44 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would argue against GaryC's point I have had the Scorpian downpipe fitted and the increase in pick up and torque is very clear. I think they will all do the same job by removing the first CAT and increasing flow. £150 including VAT and fitting.

Note Stefs cars power umm umm
Old 08 November 2000, 01:29 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr Leigh:
<B>I would argue against GaryC's point I have had the Scorpian downpipe fitted and the increase in pick up and torque is very clear. I think they will all do the same job by removing the first CAT and increasing flow. [/quote]

You are perfectly correct, but the gains from a full sized aperture will be greater. less resistance = greater gains, especially torque (delivery)

A friend changed a Scorpion dp for a Falkland one, and whilst top end power was pretty much the same, mid range grunt was significantly better, turbo spooled up sonner/quicker, and the car revved from 3-5k quicker.

Old 08 November 2000, 01:34 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Hi Leigh,
My thoughts are the same as yours,there doesn't seem to be much in it on the dyno page and look how well sfefs mota goes.It doesn't look quite as free flowing as the wide flanged ones but getting rid of the cat has to be better.
They seem good value at lees than £120 and i can get one local and fit it myself no probs.

cheers Paul
Old 08 November 2000, 01:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

try Tyres Norfampton on 01604 588599 - they sell Scorpion exhaust systems (amongst other things)

You will get good unbiased advice from people who know what they are talking about.

Paul
Old 08 November 2000, 02:07 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Gary.
This is one point I really do want to clear up. You can't state things like that unless you've actually done back-to-back tests using each type.
My car has always been one of the top performers on the rollers without a fancy downpipe.
I am continually told I would be better off with a twin-dump or wider-flange pipe, and was considering upgrading just to see what all the fuss is about, so perhaps I should ask the suppliers to back up the claims and arrange a back-to-back test using my car?
Going back to the original point though, you don't NEED a fancy system to get good gains in mid-range torque, but if you want to spend more money.....

Stef.
Old 08 November 2000, 07:21 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well Stef you dont want to go round shouting how quick/good your car is, because you havent tested it back to back against EVERY other UK car have you?

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 08 November 2000).]
Old 09 November 2000, 04:02 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Stef - you are quite right, like you, I don't have back to back proof. But just looking at the two pipes was enough for me, we all seek 'the route of least resistence'. Blanking off half the turbo aperture/flange/opening cannot be beneficial!

The other 'deciders' were two m'sport preparers, neither of which were the supplier, who told me the torque gains would be no way near as great with a blanking plate in place. Plus the guy I spoke to who swapped his Scorpion for a Falkland and had noticable gains in the performance.

For £20 more (£170 fitted) it was a no brainer, for me.

At the end of the day Stef, the only person you have to satisfy is yourself, as long as you are happy with your choice, you have no worries

I'm satisfied and happy .....but still want more

Old 09 November 2000, 04:43 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheap, cheap, do it cheap, cheap, cheap.............
Old 09 November 2000, 06:40 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Well, the comparison is now arranged so I'll let you all know. Whichever one wins stays on my car anyway so I don't care!

Stef.
PS Sunil......
Old 09 November 2000, 10:23 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

Question

Gary C

Can I ask when you got your Falkland D/P fitted ? They are now asking for 170 + vat +fitting ( 70 quid)for SIDC Members ( 20 more for non-members) = grand total of roughly 270 quid , 100 more than you've paid = ripoff ?

rico