Best Engine Oil ????

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2000, 08:09 PM
AgentO
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hia

My `98 Terzo is going in for its service next week, and the dealership says that i can provide my own oil if need be.

Now my last car i ran on Mobil 1 , but i`ve read that Imprezas don`t like it, so what do you guys reccomend??

Thx
Old 06 November 2000, 08:43 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

when I got mine it had mobil 1 in it. I took it to get checked at Roger Clarke Motorsport (the car is an import). They changed the oil
to Silkolene and the car is much happier.

Old 06 November 2000, 09:18 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

AgentO

Not strictly true the UK Turbos run on a special formulation of Mobil1 (5W/40) which is not generally available. Mobil1 Motorsport is not recommened for cars still under warranty as Subaru have not tested it for use on their cars (although it could be used outside of the warranty period). Silkolene Pro S is also well regarded. You can get this from places such as Scoobysport or speak to your local dealer.

Do a search on the topic, there is loads of info on the BBS already.
Chris
Old 06 November 2000, 10:36 PM
AgentO
Scooby Newbie

o.k., thx guys,i`ll have a look back through the pages, see what turns up

Old 07 November 2000, 12:52 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

The general conssnsus is that 5w 40w is too thin. I was using Silkolene Pro S 5w40w but have now changed up to 10w50w to prolong the life of the engine

Some commentators recommend 15w50w, and I spoke with a turbo company who strongly recommended this rating to prolong the turbo life

My car is an im port so may be different - but I wont be using 5w any more

BTW - Silkolene appears to be the best regared - I would not put inferior stuff in my car (and definately not Magnetec or some poor oil like this)
Old 07 November 2000, 02:38 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

I use Castrol RS 10w60 synthetic engine oil and Silkolene 75w90 synthetic gearbox oil in an STI5.

After speaking to a few Cosworth owners, it seems use of too light a weight synth oil may cause premature valve wear due to oil draining from the metals surface. Initial symptoms can be a quick burst of tappety valve train noise when starting from cold.

ChrisW.
Old 07 November 2000, 08:49 PM
AgentO
Scooby Newbie

hmm, i think i`m going to go with Silkolene`s Pro S engine oil.

Any ideas on the cheapest place to get it???

thx once again for the replies
Old 07 November 2000, 10:25 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

This was posted by Mike Tuckwood back in July. Hope this makes things a little clearer(Suitably long for my 600th post )

"Mobil 1 0W-40
Subaru Japan have stated that all oils with a 0W rating will invalidate engine warranty. This is because 0W viscosity has not been tested by Fuji Heavy Industries and is unlikely to be tested by them in the near future. It is not a result of engine problems and is not related to synthetic technology or oil quality. This oil which operates at temperatures as low as minus 54 degrees exceeds the quality level required of Subaru vehicles. This oil was used by customers for 2 years in Subaru engines without any claims for engine failure before the Warranty Bulletin was produced regarding OW oils.
Mobil recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 for vehicles outside warranty.
Mobil 1 15W-50
Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 uses the same synthetic technology which results in fast flow rates and reduced friction. It is designed for ardous race and rally use at the highest temperatures where a thicker more stable oil is required. Again this lubricant has not been tested by Fuji Heavy Industries so they cannot give approval.
Mobil recommend 15W-50 for use outside of the warranty.
Mobil 1 5W-40
Using the same technology as Mobil 1 0W-40, MOBIL HAS MADE MOBIL 1 5W-40 EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE TO SUBARU DEALERS.
This product fulfils the viscosity requirements of Subaru for use in all of their model range. Mobil 1 5W-40 makes available the same benefits achieved by Mobil 1 without the extreme low temperature capability and ulta quick circulation offered by the 0W rated product. Mobil 1 5W-40 will be available exclusively to Subaru dealers for routine servicing. For interim lubricant top-up, we advise customers to either return to dealer for top-up or use Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 for DIY top-up. While Motorosport is 15W-50m, the viscosity will have negligible effect on the sump viscosity and the lubricants are totally compatible.
Semi-synthetics 10W-40
Mobil Super S 10W-40 and Duchams QXR 10W-40 have been accepted for use during the warranty period and whilst not delivering the optimum performance of fully synthetic engine oil, they still exceed the performance requirements necessary to meet the Subaru warranty.
Summary
During the warranty period and in order to adhere to the viscosity requirements of the Subaru warranty, Mobil recommend the use of Mobil 1 5W-40, Mobil Super S 10W-40 or Duckhams QXR 10W-40. Out of warranty, Mobil recommend Mobil 1 OW-40 or Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50"
My thoughts
It appears that the dealer CAN use MOBIL 1 oil, the 5W-40. However this is not available to the general public but only to SUBARU dealers. The other MOBIL 1 products will invalidate your warranty, the 0W-40 and 15W-50 types. However using Mobil Super S 10W-40 is okay for your warranty but MOBIL recommend the best oil to use outside your warranty is Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50. So for the people who have wrote and said that their dealer uses MOBIL 1, then it is almost certain to be this exclusive 5W-40 rated oil which we cannot buy. At least the above should clear up everything regarding the use of MOBIL 1. The above is the official statement by MOBIL, it looks like to me that the Mobil 1 Motorsport is a good oil and is probably the best oil but if we put it in our engines we know that SUBARU will not honour the warranty."

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 07 November 2000).]
Old 09 November 2000, 10:34 PM
AgentO
Scooby Newbie

hmm, well i used Mobil 1 in my 200sx for 50k , and it never burn`t a drop

Still, after all the praise that Silkolene has been getting on this forumn, i think i`m going to give it a try instead
Old 09 November 2000, 10:44 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

not only is the oil pretty good but the logo
is cool too

Old 10 November 2000, 08:52 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

They use the Concorde logo, as it it is they supply BA and the RAF (amongst others) with their aircraft lubricants.

Just hope Concorde gets up again soon. I will never forget the whole of JFK airport coming to a standstill, just to watch this beautiful bird fly over Manhattan and in to land. Thousands of people pressed up against the windows of the departure floor, watching it against the orange glow of the late summer sun through the New York smog. Made me proud to be British

Silkolene also are also the CAA testing authority for aircraft lubricants.

Classic case of a company that spends its money on R&D, not TV and magazine advertising.

Nectar for engines and boxes!! (and jets)
Old 10 November 2000, 10:09 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean Pete... I was at
JFK a while ago and there were three
concordes parked next to each other,
real horsepower...

If anyone hasn't seen one take off
and they get flying again go and watch!

A W E S O M E stuff...
Old 10 November 2000, 02:20 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

What's the crack with 20w-50 oil?
I'm currently running this in CK1, 'Valvoline Racing' to be precise.
I used to use 15w-50 Mobil 1 Motorsport.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 13 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 03:03 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Why is there so much talk about Mobil 1 when Subaru recommend Shell Helix Ultra?
Is the Shell oil really shi*t? Can't be too bad if Ferrari use it in Shuey's car...
Old 10 November 2000, 03:09 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I used to work as an IT contractor at Heathrow. They had a great initiation ceremony for the newbie airside engineers.

They would take them out to the runway at about 10:45 to check the runway landing lights (for all of those who don't know, the New York Concorde used to take off at 10:55 every morning). At this point all the other engineers disappear back into the Landrover. The poor newbie is then caught 300 yards downwind as Concorde goes to full throttle. Poor bloke gets bowled over (you are literally knocked off your feet by the thrust) and then he has to contend with the super heated air passing over him. How we laughed....

Fantastic plane though - an amazing sight whether taking off or landing. It used to rattle the window panes and you could watch your coffee cup 'walk' accross the table.

Chris

Bu66er all to do with oil, but a good story
Old 12 November 2000, 07:20 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

I`d say there all pretty s##t hot as long as you use the correct grade of synthetic and dont swap and change oil manufacturers every five minutes! Just change your oil at max 3000 mile intervals.

Whats best a BIG MAC or a WHOPPER?............

Old 14 November 2000, 10:21 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

They sell Mobil 1 in France the 5w 40 variety for £18 a can, almost worth a daytrip ! So maybe its not made specially for Subaru.

Jase
Old 14 November 2000, 10:33 AM
Jantec1
Scooby Regular

I managed to find some Silkolene Pro S 5/40 - anyone tried it. Quoted price £23 for 4 litres!
Old 14 November 2000, 01:44 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Subaru UK's sole recommendation for the Impreza Turbo is Shell Helix Semi-Synthetic, that being said, very few dealers use that as standard.
Old 14 November 2000, 04:24 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Gary

We got approval from Subaru UK Technical dept for Silkolene Pros S 10w/50, due to the amount of UK cars we service.

They knew all about it and were happy for us to use it in UK cars.

Pete
Old 15 November 2000, 11:20 PM
PingTime
Scooby Newbie

Question

So both 5/40 and 10/40 Silkolene Pro s`s are approved for use in Subarus??? ( i ask as my MY98 is going in for its service on Saturday, with some Silkolene Pro S in , although i`m not sure what viscosity it is )

P.T.
Old 16 November 2000, 08:42 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Ping Time

Approval was for the 10w/50, not 5w/40.
Old 16 November 2000, 08:45 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pete Croney:
<B>Gary

We got approval from Subaru UK Technical dept for Silkolene Pros S 10w/50, due to the amount of UK cars we service.

They knew all about it and were happy for us to use it in UK cars.

Pete[/quote]

Don't doubt it for a second, but when I rang SUK in late August, they told my the only recommended oil was Helix semi-synthetic. I guess its the diference between getting approval and recommending??
Old 16 November 2000, 08:57 AM
Jantec1
Scooby Regular

Does that mean there is a problem with the Silkolene 5/40? given that this is the same viscosity spec as the approved Mobil 1 used by Scooby dealers?

I'm a bit confused?
Old 16 November 2000, 12:14 PM
Chris Wilson
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stef:
<B>What's the crack with 20w-50 oil?
I'm currently running this in CK1, 'Valvoline Racing' to be precise.
I used to use 15w-50 Mobil 1 Motorsport.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 13 November 2000).][/quote]

We use Valvoline oils in all our engine builds, from road cars to Cosworth DF* series. Valvoline "Racing Oil" is a mineral based oil, not a synthetic, it is a low ash oil, ideal for use in engines where carbon build up in the combustion chambers can be a problem, and it is also known for its remarkable film strength under immense compression loads from ultra strong valve springs in things like OHV Yank V8 race engines. We do in fact use it in the odd pushrod engine we still get to build, but i DON'T think it a good choice for a stressed turbo engine. The high temp handling ability of a pure synthetic will be more suited to the Subaru engine, and I'd recommend Valvoline Syn-Power. It's a pure synthetic, just as well specced as Mobil 1, but a good deal cheaper. We use this in all engines bar rotaries, 2 strokes and the afroementioned pushrod units. HTH.