KNOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2001, 07:31 PM
nigel253
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi - I new here so take it easy.

I have a 94 WRX, Magnex exhaust, downpipe back and a bailey dump valve. Ever since I got th car in Oct last year it has had a varied performance, Sometimes it goes very well and then somtimes i haven't been able to pass a mondeo!! I went to GGR today and they say that the ignition is being retarded by 8 -10 degrees. They say that they have tested the knock sensor and it's workin fine. They then took it out for a drive without it connected and it went like the wind and they couldn't hear any audible knock.They said that it should have been very aubible if the ignition was previously being knocked back. So my question is is the sensor broke ie over sensative, are they talking c*** or do i have another problem? I am using SUL tried also with millers but hasn't made any difference to performance. Have reset ECU.(connected the two green connectors. Is this correct?)
Old 08 May 2001, 11:50 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't comment on all your questions, but will comment on a couple of bits of your post.

If you can clearly hear knock when you are driving along you are probably two or three second away from losing a piston - if it is that bad there is a fundamental problem somewhere.

Resetting the ECU will actually make your car run worse - the ECU is programmed for 100-104RON fuel. When you reset it needs to relearn to run on 97RON (or 99RON if you are using Millars). In doing this it will retard the ignition.

My best guess, and there are better people to answer this, is that you may be getting overboost/leaning out which will cause det, ergo retardation. Certainly having a d/p and free flow exhaust will increase your boost somewhat. But this is only one of a number of possibilities.

Good luck,

R