Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Expansion tank for a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2001, 03:25 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The expansion tank for my coolant system is leaking on my MY94 WRX.

Does any one know if this is a common problem or is my system becoming over pressurised.

If it is a common problem, is it better to fit the later (metal) tank to the car or carry on with the standard plastic one???

Any help would be greatly appreciated also if any body has a tank that they want to sell let me know.

Cheers

Yee
Old 03 May 2001, 07:37 PM
John H
Scooby Regular

Hi Yee,
The expansion tanks on early WRX's are made of a plastic which goes brittle with age.Later models had a cast aluminium tank which can be modified to fit . I fitted one on my early WRX after accidentally leaning on one of the hoses and snecking off the top hose.There are also some highly polished header tanks available from some aftermarket dealers. Give me a call if you need help.
Regards,
John
P.S. Have you solved theo turbo linkage rattle ?
Old 03 May 2001, 09:47 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi John
Hows it going? The same thing has happend to me, I was having a look at the tank because it had a leak from the centre join. When I took of the top hose the plastic part just came off in my hand. I think you had the ally tank fitted when we met up for a chat.

Should I replace with the ally tank or another plastic? I was also told that one off a a Legacy would also work. The aftermarket type are nice but they cost about 150 quid and I would rather spend it on my front end upgrade.

Keep in touch

Yee
Old 08 May 2001, 08:45 PM
John H
Scooby Regular

Hi Yee,
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I'd recommend fitting an aluminium tank , especially for piece of mind !
Regards,
John
Old 08 May 2001, 09:02 PM
KevinWRX
Scooby Regular

Cool

John,

So where's the best place to get a alloy replacement tank from then ? I sort of broke the top pipe fitting on mine. I've had a temporary fix done, but I noticed yesterday that is was starting to leak again. Can you e-mail me with a phone number or web address ?

Cheers

KevinWRX
Old 09 May 2001, 06:47 PM
John H
Scooby Regular

Kevin,
I was going to e-mail at your home address you but you don't have your address in your profile. As to your question I got my tank from a breakers yard. Try central-subaru.co.uk or grade A subara. ( I'm not connected with any of these breakers ) The tank will need a bracket making to move it further forward but if you're handy with a saw and a drill it's not difficult.I hope this helps.
Regards,
John
Old 11 May 2001, 10:35 PM
KevinWRX
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers John, I'll give'm a go.

KevinWRX