Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Geoarbox problem 2nd-3rd - ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2001, 06:31 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

After reporting air con problem last week i now have a gearbox problem. Shifting from 2nd gear to third results in a crunch that you can feel but not hear, shifting down is fine. Could it be the syncro is going/worn, any rough ideas how much to repair this as i have go get the air con sorted as well - its starting to get expensive now!!! ?
As you know if you have read previous threads the car is 9 wks old to me (R reg MY97 36K miles) and was under warranty with intermoto - so now it's my job to pay for repairs as the f*ckers at jaguar house wont take responsibility.

Also posted in general as i am going down to jaguar garage to sort it out with the guy who sold me the car who was transferred from intermoto!!
Old 18 May 2001, 08:07 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

I think this fault with the gearbox is quite common. Both my car and a few mates cars.my 98-99 have this sort of problem.We got hold of a Subaru representative by phone who told us that 3rd gear has a different cut profile to cope with the torque that it has to regularly cope with when changing gears at speed ...so the problem with this change is always there to some extent...Maybe your changing quicker recently and noticing it more?...I reported this to 2 dealers...they don't seem that interested in recognising the problem...one did mention having the box out for a look but I declined...instead I've replaced the dealers normal gearbox oil with Castrol Syntrax....a definite improvement...
Old 19 May 2001, 07:18 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Smile

On my way to get some castrol - cheers m8
Old 20 May 2001, 11:42 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'd be interested to hear if this oil works for you DearHunter.
I have the same problem on my MY99 (18k miles) for which the dealer reported 'no fault found'