Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

I've just had my first judder...........

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 03:21 PM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hello

Looks like the sccob is suffering from the imfamous clutch judder

Started it from cold, pulled off and the whole car shook. It's a MY97 with 62,000mls on the clock.

[rant mode on]
I have the extended 'Proven' warranty from Subaru, but I have been told that this won't be covered because of the mileage, but they can get the block changed at 52,000 (just before I bought it, condition of sale and all that). I don't understand what the point of having the warranty is then???
[rant mode off]

Has anyone else had their clutch changed due to 'judder' at a similar mileage.

Your help is appreciated

Cheers

Iain
Old 22 May 2001, 04:29 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Ian...welcome to the "Sorry Sir thats a feature of the car" club.

Mine also has bad clucth judder when cold and has done pretty much the same mileage as yours....but mine is an MY94.

I dont think you'll get a newy under warranty but there's no harm in asking....then nagging.

I've often wondered if I should give it a go but my car is not standard and is an older vintage...

Anyway best of luck.

Greg.

[This message has been edited by Gerg2 (edited 22 May 2001).]
Old 22 May 2001, 04:49 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs down

Ian,
I was told at 29k that most under 20k some under 25k very rare over 30k for Uk cars.
I have a two year old with 33,000 and had a new clutch fitted found to be Fecked whilst changing crank seal under warrenty
There was no fittting charge just cost of parts £666 as new flywheel is fitted to accomadate single plate clutch (old type was twin plate). No judder now, cant afford to drive it

best of luck,
Tony
Old 22 May 2001, 07:29 AM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've recenly had a second clutch replaced with about 30K on that one. It's now OK when cold, but when really hot it judders. For example after a reasonable 20 mile run if I get stuck in traffic (especially up hill) then it judders very badly indeed, worse than before. Even giving it 2K revs just to crawl forward a few feet doesn't get rid of the judder. I've not yet had time to take it back to the dealler, but I have contacted them to make them aware of the problem.

Anyone else encountered this with a new clutch?

Julian.
Old 22 May 2001, 09:34 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

in these cases, was they flywheel lightly skimmed and an uprated pilot bearing put in.

We find that by doing this, it seems that the infamous judder is totally eliminated.

i'm sure that the drivetrain designer didn't really have that in mind as a feature of the car.....

Cheers

Paul, TSL Motorsport