Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PossumLink and warranty questions.

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 12:39 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I've been thinking of getting a PPP to fit to my UK MY00 but am finding it hard to justify, costwise. I have recently come across the PossumLink system on this BBS which seems to have rave reviews from those who've had it fitted.

As my car is relatively new I am a bit concerned about loss of warranty on the car. Have any people ever had any really major problems with the running of a PossumLink? (as opposed to just a Link - the old one I think). How does it compare to a PPP set-up? (pretty good as far as can tell from teh dynos) Also, as I understand it the Possum is a fairly quick change job to get the old ECU back in if the car needs to go in for servicing etc. Is it really that simple? (I understand it needs good mapping).

My car is fairly standard with a WR backbox and scoobysport downpipe, magnex or P1 centre and ITG filter going on in June. Do I need to think about things like KnockLink and LambdaLink for this sort of set-up? I'm not after great trackday performance just an improvement on my day-to-day car.

I've done a search already but can't seem to find answers to these questions.
Thanks.
Old 21 May 2001, 12:56 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Simon,

The reason the PPP is priced at that level is because it is the only ECU mod which doesn't invalidate the warranty.

Having said that, I'm sure some people do swap the board before visiting the dealer.

The PossumLink (abbreviated to Link - they are one and the same thing) is only as good as the person mapping it.

Send an e-mail to Bob Rawle or Branko - see their site
Old 21 May 2001, 01:34 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

The possum link is a great piece of kit, if in the right hands.

Bob rawle is without doubt the man to map it for you, convenient as br developmenst sell them as well.

The benfit is that the map will be tailored to your car, which the ppp is not. A generic map has to be safer as different engines exhibit different characteristics, and so pushing the performance envelope harder is more dangerous.

individulaity is what makes the unit so good. Of course a generic map can be inserted but this does not take advantage of the features available to you.

Definitely gove bob a call on this one, he will be able to put your mind at rest.

It is unlikely there will be any warranty issues regarding warranty on the ecu itself, and changing it back eachtime you service the car is impractical.

It might be advisable however given the select monitor or self diagnostics sytem which the dealer will plug into requires the jecs to be installed.

Speak to bob and he will explain all.
Old 21 May 2001, 07:51 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for that folks, interesting stuff. I've swapped a couple of emails with Branko today and it sounds like a fairly good bit of equipment. I didn't realise you had to have the KnockLink and LambdaLink installed as well. All the gubbins required does push the price up towards that of the PPP (about £1350 all in).
More pondering required.........
Old 23 May 2001, 11:28 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Question

Why do the knock and lambda 'have' to be fitted?
Just curious, as I want to chip my old girl, but don't want/need a whole pile of plasticky-looking displays and ***** etc added into the interior.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 24 May 2001, 10:20 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

I am pretty sure that they are optional (they certainly were when my car was mapped) but recommended as a good "common sense" measure.

I'm sure they don't have to be on permanent display but they are rather less useful if you can't see them......

The comparison between the PPP and the Link is like comparing a Burtons suit and a Saville Row tailor-made one - "one size fits all" or setup specifically for your car and your requirements.

Warranty is the only issue.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 25 May 2001, 09:55 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

But you have already voided your warranty by fitting a downpipe
Old 25 May 2001, 11:24 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

The LambdaLink and the KnockLink don't <I>have</I> to be installed, they are just recommended as a belt-and-braces type affair.

As regards the downpipe fitting and warranty, yeah fair point, well presented. The same thing has been pointed out to me by BRD.
Old 26 May 2001, 10:06 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

When i had my link fitted at Bob's it was optional to purchase knock + lambda but Bob does like (insists) to have one plugged in whilst hes does the mapping process.

Once thats complete if you do purchase you can just unplug it if you don't want to see it and are confident your not getting det.
Old 26 May 2001, 12:04 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Question

Forgive me for my ignorance but if the Knocklink is installed, why do you also need a Lambdalink. Isn't the Knocklink enough insurance as you would know if it was detting. In what way would the Lambdalink help appart from knowing what the mixture is? This question is with the thought that detting is the main worry.

WREXY.