Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Magnex straight thru centre section

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 03:02 PM
SCOOBYWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Where can i buy a straight through magnex centre section without the resonator ??

regards , kev.
Old 23 May 2001, 03:17 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Try Roadrunner in Nottingham. I don't have their number, but you could try directory inquires.

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 23 May 2001, 03:36 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Roadrunner, Notts 0115 9781173

Magnex Centre De-Cat Pipe £56.50 inc vat.

I received mine yesterday - excellent service.

Regards

Mark
Old 23 May 2001, 04:51 PM
megastream
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Have you fitted it yet?
Can ya let me know what its like, both to fit and if its made any change to the drive and sound of the exhaust..
I've got a ss back box and am interested in the mid section, at under £60 magnex maybe the way to go...why's the ss mid so much more expensive? Its only a bit of pipe isn't it..??!!

Cheez

John
Old 23 May 2001, 06:03 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

Cool

just fitted magnex bb 6x4 oval and ss center
de-cat pipe excellent sound
not sure about any extra power still great
Old 23 May 2001, 07:21 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi all

How much more noise does fitting the decat centre section give? I would like some more noise from my exhaust without doing the downpipe yet.

Ian
Old 23 May 2001, 11:19 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

INFORMATION

The centre section on a MY99 onwards ,contrary to belief does not have a cat. installed here ,hence the extra 3bhp ,from 215 to 218, post99.I don't know if this applies to your model,but many people actually think their de-catting ,but aren't.
The only cat on 99-00 is situated on the front section ,a much harder task!
Old 23 May 2001, 11:31 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

I fitted a magnex mid section yesterday,to a Miltek back box, i`d say it was slightly louder not as much as i would have thought,sounds a bit more like the early rally cars. The original centre section did not have a cat anyway, just a resonator.I think u.k cars have two cats.
Weird though i was in the shop(roadrunner)on Monday and the guy told me he only had two left I bought one and he sent the other to Scotland. Dark?
Old 24 May 2001, 12:44 AM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi Dark

I would like to hear the diference the mid section makes in noise. What backbox do you have on the car?

Email me on maxy_uk@yahoo.com to arrange a time to meet

Thx

Ian
Old 24 May 2001, 09:25 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Maxy

Having my centre section fitted today. I'm working in Livingston, if you're close you can have a listen.

Mark
Old 24 May 2001, 09:36 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Question

Drive87.....

I had my SS centre section to replace my standard section for my MY00 last week. If I haven't got a cat in my centre section, what was the big bulge in my centre section (missus ) with the heatshield round it?

I'm sure the blokes at TSL (who know a thing or two about scoobs) mentioned it being a centre cat.

Old 24 May 2001, 09:50 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by drive87:
<B>INFORMATION

The centre section on a MY99 onwards ,contrary to belief does not have a cat. installed here ,hence the extra 3bhp ,from 215 to 218, post99.I don't know if this applies to your model,but many people actually think their de-catting ,but aren't.

The only cat on 99-00 is situated on the front section ,a much harder task![/quote]

Bollocks!! All UK cars have 2 cats, front and mid-section ones! The jump from 208 to 215bhp was due to the phase 2 engine being introduced!

The only UK car with one cat is the P1, I think that even the 22B Type UK cars have 2 cats (But I'm not 100% sure)

The P1 has a centre section but it's very restrictive. Apparently gains are noticed when this is changed out.

PeterPefect,

The section can be replaced when getting an MOT, it will only pass if the Cat is in good condition and if the car is warmed up. It will probably fail the idle test, but pass the 2500rpm test.

I had my MY97 car tested with just the centre cat, and it would pass with the conditons above.

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 24 May 2001, 12:05 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Question

Drive87, very interesting about the MY99 onwards not having a centre cat.

I've been reading posts about people replacing the centre-cat for MOTs if they are using a performance DP.

Can Mr ScoobySport confirm this as well ?
Old 24 May 2001, 01:36 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

I too had been told that the MY99/00 only had a cat in the down pipe,which is why I did the d/p first,(PE t75)then the Magnex 6x4 b/b.the d/p made a slight performance difference and the b/b did not make any noticeable difference except in sound.I was recently told that the c/s had a cat,so got the straight through Magnex and this seemed to make the biggest performance gain(I did ecu resets at each change),the sound has now made me change the c/s back to standard.remember my car at K/hill Ian(Maxy_UK),that was with the straight through pipe.if you want you can come and get mine and try it for a few weeks as I'm only putting it on for trackdays now.

john
Old 24 May 2001, 04:21 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Hi John

I do remember your car being very load that time at Knockhill, you did have the front pipe on that time didnt you?

With regard to your centre section, i will take you up on that offer. However, i have my finals during the next fortnight so i will give you a ring about it after they have finished.

Cheers

Ian
Old 25 May 2001, 01:35 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nicely put Andy

Andy is right, the UK cars (apart from P1) do have 2 cats. The second one in the centre was fitted to comply with the ultra tight emissions regulations in some parts of Europe. Any dealer will confirm this for you.

I've been running a Magnex BB and c/s for ages now. I found the sound is great with no real performance gain. Changing the dp a few weeks ago has made a big difference - much more torque - the car really picks up well now (mine is a fairly standard MY00).

You may find that some straight-through exhausts can make a booming noise in the cabin - I believe this has something to do with the grade of steel used to manufacture the exhaust. The Magnex c/s with resonator seems to eliminate this, as well as keeping the noise levels sane. I get loads of comments about mine, but it is still perfectly acceptable for everyday / motorway use.

Fit the c/s - I think you'll like the noise - just don't expect huge performance gains.

Cheers
Chris
Old 25 May 2001, 02:07 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think that the reason I got such good results with the c/s change,was because the d/p had already been done.just wish I had gone for the Magnex silenced c/s.

john
Old 27 May 2001, 04:15 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John

Just swap it out and post it up in the 'for sale' section - it'll go pretty quickly and if it is fairly new, you won't lose a lot either

Chris
Old 27 May 2001, 06:12 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chris,
had thought of that,but it is only a 10min. job for me to change,so I will just use it for trackdays.

john
Old 29 May 2001, 07:38 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

Angry

Andy Tang you've not got a clue ,speak to those who know ,at Prodrive.I changed my standard one cause it was damaged ,so I cut it open ,NO CAT....so I know for certain Where did you get your info. from?
Old 29 May 2001, 07:48 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Everything I've heard suggests that standard UK cars have a centre cat. Why do Prodrive bother putting a new centre section on the car when they do the PPP?
Just my humble opinion....
Old 29 May 2001, 09:31 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Oi've seen it with me own oise!!!
I just fitted a Magnex Centre with resonator and right there in the OE pipe is a nice cat.honeycomb.If the exhaust has heat shielding it almost certainly has the cat below not really any other reason for shields as the straight through pipes don't get nearly as hot.
Proof positive for all you doubters
Old 29 May 2001, 10:00 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Drive87,

Why do I think there is a centre cat on a UK MY99/00 car??

Well I double checked with the one I have in my garage!

Scoobysport/Power Engineering/BRD/Nitosport will agree with me!!

Both of the Subaru dealers I've used, Mill Lane and Cheam Motors will agree with me!

Anyone else???
Andy
Old 29 May 2001, 11:25 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Now that we've cleared that up, who knows who sells Magnex c/s <I>with</I> resonators nice'n'cheaply?

Ta.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:13 AM
kevinburn
Scooby Regular

Had my Centre pipe off last night on my 1997 Sti Wrx type R and it is a silencer , not a cat , there is no honycome in there, you can see clean through it. I had a magnex straight thru mid pipe in for about 2 hours then changed back to original pipe. (too noisy)
As a result , i have a magnex mid pipe in the for sale section. 2 hours use !

Regards kev.
Old 30 May 2001, 08:23 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

As I say, I cut mine open ,to reclaim the material inside ,just doing my bit for the enviroment ,also because I have a metal processing plant and catalitic-converters were approx. £300 /ton at the time but like I said there was none inside!
Thinking I had been short changed ,or that RB5's just didn't have one I done some homework on the subject.
P.S. I would show you the evidence but it's probably on a boat to a country with a steel industry left,or maybe already recycled into a washing machine or a Subaru!
Old 30 May 2001, 08:35 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

If you look inside a "normal" silencer box there is a "material" inside ,this alone does not mean it's a cat, mearly a silencer-box ,with baffles.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:17 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

drive87,

After re-reading my posts, I may have sounded a little aggressive! Sorry, that wasn't the intention!

I can't explain why your car didn't have a centre cat! Maybe it was a way of making the RB5 a little faster than a standard car!!

Kevin,

Some of the later Japanese cars only have the main downpipe cat, but although the mid-section doesn't have a cat, it's still quite restrictive.

The one with a resonator would have been quiter than the straight through one, but the standard centre would give the least noise. I guess it depends what your priorities are!

Simon,

If you want a Magnex centre section with a resonator try Falkland in Scotland. They supplied mine, and I got it in a couple of days. Discount for SIDC members as well!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 31 May 2001, 06:35 PM
drive87
Scooby Regular

Andy,I did get a Magnex centre section, picked it up from a small shop in Helensburgh ,can't rmember the name and fitted it myself.
As for Falkland ,I've visited them once and yeah they seem very good and helpful.
cheers Drive.:0