Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

crunching g/box

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2001, 08:02 PM
Gary-F
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

can anybody shed some light on my situation?
when changing from 1st to 2nd i am
experiencing a slight crunching of the gears!! it only happens when changing up the box and only if i try to change quickly,yet
no other gears crunch regardless of how quickly i throw the stick??
Old 07 June 2001, 05:05 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Have you cheked the Oil ??
It also sound like the syncros [SP?], try double declutching to see if it makes a difference.

When in first, clutch in, in to netural clutch out, clutch in in to second clutch out, give it ago.
Old 08 June 2001, 09:50 AM
matt b
Scooby Regular

am new to scoobies-bought a my99 with 18k from N. ireland 2 months ago and since then cant decide if i have a problem with my gearbox- 1 st gear. basically i can only go cleanly from 2nd-1st if down to a slow rolling speed (5mph). otherwise you have to push hard. took it to the dealer who told me "they all do that" - get the feeling that phrase often rolls off his tongue!!, went out with a mechanic who proceeded to show me how its done by ramming the stick home.
having been fobbed off on my other niggle-engine surges when cold, im now wondering whether all dealers have a pathological fear of doing any work under warranty, i actually do have a problem and scoobies shouldn't be driven as if they are tractors.
I ve learnt to drive around it now so dont really notice (stay in 2nd unless i stop) but it would be great to have some views so that i can go back to the dealer and stuff his "they all do that" down his throat.
cheers
Old 08 June 2001, 11:24 AM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Whilst the gear stick is in the neutral position going from 2nd to 1st and the clutch is still down , give the accelerator a blip to match engine speed with road speed and it will slide in nicely

K
Old 08 June 2001, 11:25 AM
rovo
Scooby Regular

from 2nd to 1st only at very slow speeds (with a little throttle at a little higher speed), only car where I really could change down to 1st at reasonable speeds was the "old" mini