Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction Kit choices?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2001, 09:25 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Which if any kit gives the best performance results as opposed to the standard air box? My mate had an hks super power flow but at £180 to expensive.Would the 57i be a better choice? please help!!
Old 14 May 2001, 06:41 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

If cost is a concern, remove the resonator and fit an ITG panel filter

Richard
Old 14 May 2001, 12:29 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Get the K&N.
I doubt there's a better system out there to be honest.

Stef.
Old 14 May 2001, 03:16 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a hks super power flow on mine and i can tell you it is a nice bit of kit well worth the saving up for!! I don't know about the k&n but the sound mine make's when accelorating and changing gear is amazing sound's like a dump valve total class bit of kit a must if it's a jap import.Try grasshopper pro sport they will do you one cheaper than 180.You can reach them on 01942671239 If you fancy one.
Old 14 May 2001, 04:14 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Alanjack
I have the Aps cold air induction kit with the K&N filter. Very safe and a big difference over standard as your constantly getting cold air in. Comes with all related hardware fittings. No drilling or cutting required. Check out their website on
Old 14 May 2001, 04:33 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

WREXY

I've been thinking about getting one of these - currently have a Blitz. Do they require more cleaning because the filter is located in the inner guard? Any idea on temp gains?

Cheers
Rich.
Old 14 May 2001, 11:34 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Rich,
I've done 6,500kms which is roughly 4,000mls with it and it still doesn't need cleaning and that's in dusty Greece. They don't need anymore cleaning than the engine bay type. The ones in the engine bay get more volumes of air but its heated air due to the heat build up in the engine bay. The inner guard induction kit is protected from the mudguard as its situated in between the inner guard and the mudguard. It gets less volumes of air than the engine bay types, as it only gets its air from the brake air duct grille under the blinker. But its cold air and the cast alloy the ducting is made from doesn't heat up. The break air ducting is removed as the cold air ducting sits in its place. The shops that fit engine bay types argue that, there kit gets more volumes of air so heat build up doesn't matter, resulting in more power and the shops that fit inner guard types argue that, there kit gets less volumes of air but its cool air, resulting in more power. Its up to each individual which type they think is right. With my way of thinking I like the cold air idea, that's why I went for the APS cold air feed pipe.

First I fitted the exhaust 5 ZIGGEN (catless mid), mid section and bacbox and I felt an improvement over standard. I then fitted the cold air ducting BEFORE some other mods such as electronic boost controller and it made a huge difference. It felt heaps more responsive and that was on a hot day, around 35deg celsius. I haven't been in a car with the other type fitted so I can't compare. But cold air makes sense and turbo's need it.It makes a fantastic sound too as you hear the air getting sucked in, but only when on boost. No problems with water getting in either as the K&N filter won't allow. Hope I haven't confused you.

Regards,
WREXY.
Old 15 May 2001, 12:28 AM
Driftmeister
Scooby Newbie

Hello,

Sorry no real experience of using induction kits, currently running ITG filter, but did see an advert for a new ITG induction kit in this months Evo mag, and the Impreza was listed as one of the few that are, or are nearly ready. It looked really good with some sort of sheilding to keep engine bay heat away.

Let me know if u think its any good.

Sam
Old 15 May 2001, 09:21 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Hi WREXY

Cheers for the info.

I'm going to fit a bigger hybrid turbo + FMIC shortly (already got EBC, Unichip & Water Injection) so might as well get it all done at the same time.

Cheers
Rich.
Old 15 May 2001, 10:15 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

No worries Rich
Ah the UNICHIP, how I'd love to have it.I got my performance parts from my good m8 in OZ who owns a perforance shop and he deals with APS. He came to Greece and set my car up but the only thing we couldn't do was the Unichip cause he obviously couldn't bring his 4wd RR with him and there are none in Greece. But I want it that bad that later on in the year I'll be visiting the UK with scooby and will be heading straight for Powerstation. Rich, don't forget to re map the Unichip after your new mods. Your car will be a rocket when complete.

Cheers m8
WREXY.
Old 08 June 2001, 10:28 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Got the 57i, I have been running this for 3 weeks now and it is a cracking piece of kit
Thanks fellas!!!