Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HKS Iridium Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2001, 12:44 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking about getting a set of these but can anybody tell me how much, what type (assuming that different grades are available) and where from? Also, if they are supposed to last for 60,000 miles and I do a low annual mileage will they last for, say, 10 years or is there a 'sell by' date on them as well? Thanks.

Raymond.
Old 12 June 2001, 01:19 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Most HKS vendors, TDI, GGR, Park Lane, BRD sell them. They are just over £60 for the set, can't rememeber the number, but all of the above will give you the correct plugs for your car.

Don't know about 60,000 miles though, I changed mine after 20k and others change them even more frequently!

They are made by DENSO and in other markets you can buy them as DENSO brand and they are cheaper than in the UK (although I once managed to get a set for £36, it was a one off deal tho'!!!!!!).

Trout
Old 12 June 2001, 05:04 PM
Pieman
Scooby Regular

Question

Would there be any noticeable difference in the car's performance with these plugs, compared to standard ones?
Old 12 June 2001, 08:33 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

I fitted a set of Denso IK22s to an MY01/02 US WRX last weekend. I noticed a lot smoother running at all parts of the power band. Can say I saw more power though I think they will make the car more efficient and ready for my next round of mods(link ECU, IHI VF turbo, catless up-pipe).
I'd say look for the denso, they make the HKS,Greddy,STI, and everyone elses iridium plugs. And are cheaper.

Ken
Old 17 June 2001, 03:52 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hello there' could you tell me if I can purchase the denso plugs in this country or will I have to import them from japan or the us?
Cheers...
C
Old 18 June 2001, 02:23 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

Someone help Craft.

Ken
Old 18 June 2001, 09:24 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DeliciouSpeed:
<B>Someone help Craft.

Ken[/quote]

Craft: You have mail...eventually
Delicouspeed: I'm an idiot (you know what I mean)

Houlbt
Old 21 June 2001, 10:33 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Trout:
<B>Most HKS vendors, TDI, GGR, Park Lane, BRD sell them. They are just over £60 for the set, can't rememeber the number, but all of the above will give you the correct plugs for your car.

Don't know about 60,000 miles though, I changed mine after 20k and others change them even more frequently!

They are made by DENSO and in other markets you can buy them as DENSO brand and they are cheaper than in the UK (although I once managed to get a set for £36, it was a one off deal tho'!!!!!!).

Trout [/quote]

Right then, had a word with DENSO about doing a group buy for these jobbies.

Got a quote on some dual tip platinum plugs. Had a word with the guy at DENSO Technical and told him that the ones that HKS etc supplied were Iridium....and I wanted the best. Anyway, he told me that the dual tip platinums were the best performance plug DENSO did and are better than the iridiums.

The thing that makes the iridiums marketed as better is that they have a service life of 100,000 miles!!!(hence cheaper servicing) Don't know about you guys but I change my plugs every 15,000 miles anyway!!!! He also said that the Iridium plugs DENSO make are in the Toyota Avensis.

Either way, these plugs are a ton better than your standard Subaru supplied jobbies.

<I>Anyway if I can get sufficent interest I can do a group buy of these platinum plugs. I should be able to do this for £42 delivered to your door (UK that is). I got a quote of my preferred local motorsport shop for some HKS plugs of £68.48 plus postage.
Just phoned my local Subaru dealer...their plugs are £10.72 plus VAT each</I>

Worth getting some for your next plug change methinks...for the record, the DENSO part number is PK20PRP8 (means nothing to me)

Lastly, these plugs fit any Impreza apart from the 1600GL and the 2.5sport (American). Basically they fit any Turbo.

If interested mail me.
Old 21 June 2001, 04:25 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

BTTT

I have got a fair bit of interest already...those who have replied I'll be in touch. Good news is there is sufficent interest to proceed whatever now.
Old 21 June 2001, 08:45 PM
WRXsteve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have been using the HKS plugs for a month now. Car is much smoother and. better fuel economy.
Old 21 June 2001, 10:59 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for the info standard plugs are NGK Double Platinum tipped ie PFR** and are rated for 30,000 miles, however I change mine , like others, at 15,000 and I use the HKS not because othey are Iridium but because the electrode is 0.4mm dia which makes for a much greater spark density from the same ignition system. Since I run sort of fairly high boost this is important.

Just some info that may help.

Bob
Old 22 June 2001, 10:07 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bob Rawle:
<B>Just for the info standard plugs are NGK Double Platinum tipped ie PFR** and are rated for 30,000 miles, however I change mine , like others, at 15,000 and I use the HKS not because othey are Iridium but because the electrode is 0.4mm dia which makes for a much greater spark density from the same ignition system. Since I run sort of fairly high boost this is important.

Just some info that may help.

Bob[/quote]

As I said, I'm no technical wiz. DENSO techincal definately said 60000 though...but that matters not as I change mine more frequently also.

What does puzzle me is that I was told there was no difference in spark density (or whatever) between the two....hmmmmm

Old 22 June 2001, 02:51 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

Trust me, the Iridiums beat the platinums in both durability and power production. I have seen it on dynos quite a few times in the last year. On both Turbo and N/A motors.

Ken
Old 22 June 2001, 07:40 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru rate (specify) the NGK's to 30,000, other manufacturers may rate them at longer, depends a lot on voltage, spark duration, boost levels (or normally aspirated car) etc etc. To compare spark density you need to look at spark voltage, coil charge time, plug spark path resistance electrode diameter, boost level used and so on, a manufacurer of a plug should only make that statement against another plug knowing the environment and conditions of use.

They are, of course, entitled to make "generalisations" about their plugs performance as long as its clear.

I find the HKS plugs improve starting and have better (cleaner) high rpm performance with the right gap and ignition settings.

Bob