Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Yet another AFM failure.

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2001, 06:33 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

This is the second air flow meter i have had to fit in less than twelve months. To say im pi**ed off is an understatement in the least.

So whats causing it. I have a HKS induction kit, is this really the problem ??? The induction kit has always been fitted secureley and has never come loose.
Perhaps i should change the induction kit, what do you guys think ???

Paul
Old 27 July 2001, 07:55 AM
beebone
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I have been experienced that the AMF sensor failure in 1 month only from brand new! I think you've better to put back the original air box on it because the HKS power flow filter is not good for filtrate the water vapor! I found out the my last AMF meter failure is caused by the water vapor by the air box un-properly closed! So beware of the the water vapor! Also I found out that the Porsche 996 and BMW 3 series also use the same Bosch hot film AMF sensor! But they do well and no failure complaint! Anyway, my latest AMF is the latest modified version from Subaru (they emphasis it, I don't know), it is cheaper because Subaru only provide the sensor itself, not includes the duct. I will use some plastic like balloon to cover up the AFM sensor's plug, and plan to use the aluminum sheet to custom make a cover to cover all the air box and AFM sensor! Of course need to close the air box well when replace the factory air filter! I think this is the way that all I can do to protect the AFM sensor! And remember, change the air filter frequently and use the factory filter is reconvened! So what do you think?
Old 27 July 2001, 09:01 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Amazing how we don't have the option of buying the sensor only, isn't it.

For what it's worth, it seems the only filter/induction kit (when properly installed) that hasn't caused any failures at all, is the K&N range.

There maybe a couple out there that haven't, like MRT for instance, but the numbers sold will be way less than K&N/HKS/Blitz/PiperX etc.
Old 27 July 2001, 09:04 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

There's 3 possible causes for the failures:

1. Vibration - I think this is the case especially with (unoiled) pipercross kits, I know of several failures here in Sweden, look at the way the kit is attached to the inlet..a metal tube...that sends every little shake from the engine into the MAF.

2. Oil/contamination - Bad filtration (Blitz anyone?) or overoiled filters.

3. Increased airflow - This is the major problem IMHO...

It'd be very interesting to get some facts in this matter, specs on the cars that have blown MAF's, that's the only way to know for sure...

/J