Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oh Dear..could this be terminal?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2001, 05:37 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Went out for a 'spin' Friday night and the car sounded noisier than normal. Found that around 4000 the engine 'rattled' excessively so limped home incase it was something major. Remembered about loose heat shields so popped over to Cheam Motors first thing sat am. Andy was unsure but thought it sounded 'shieldy', so booked in for a check on Weds. but today noise also audiable at 2.5k revs, not so bad stationary, but under load now a distinctive 'clatter' 3k - 4k sounds ok. 5k + sounds ok (if you can hear above the exhaust ) Engine still pulls o.k. just sounds dreadful. This is going to do my head in between now and Weds. so, for those that have had loose heat shields or failed engines, does any of this sound familar?
Old 29 July 2001, 06:48 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

I have a loose heat shield, but I can only hear it with the window down. Not very obvious inside the car.

Trout
Old 30 July 2001, 08:31 AM
richbay
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i have just discoved the same problem on my 95 UK car, with the revs falling at around 4K there is a rattling for about a second max... then all is fine again until the 4k mark is reached again with the revs falling.....the noise sounds like some one has droped a bag of nuts in the engine bay????????
Old 30 July 2001, 10:23 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Pat: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>if an Impreza can make a certain noise, odds are I've heard it [/quote] LOL
Yep, the noise can be driven through 2.5k to 3-3.5k or after 4k. Standard cruising @3k produces no obvious noises. As for describing them.....can't do much better the a clattering same sort of pulse as the engine.

Trout: The clatter @4k can be heard in the car, otherwise it has to be windows open and objects (car/crash barriers) either side to enhance the noise.

The more I think about this (and the more I listen to the car) I think its likely to be shields. Also I take it that the shields come of during a No. 3 piston replacement?

Lets hope so, fingers crossed...roll on Wednesday, when it will be in capable hands.

(P.s. Thanks for your replies )
Old 30 July 2001, 12:40 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

David,

I've had both loose heatshields and failed engines, if an Impreza can make a certain noise, odds are I've heard it Generally heatshiled rattle can be "driven through", ie they tend to resonate at a certain engine speed and shut up again after, a bit like a wheel in need of balancing. If they become detached they can rattle over a larger RPM spread.

But without hearing it, it'de be difficult to point a finger at what it could be. Perhaps you could describe the noise a bit more closely?

Cheers,

Pat.