Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Pub talk time: RR numbers now on dyno site

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2001, 05:29 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

First thought it would be silly - (lies, damned lies & rolling roads ), but then again ... it may be of intrest to some.

Feel free to comment :
Old 28 July 2001, 01:46 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

YEAH! These results are just sensational, the strongest UK-spec car ever on these rollers!

Don't know why nobody wants to comment this?

This proves that the Unichip is really up to the job and also Mark is a VERY good mapper.

One question: Is it possible with the Unichip boost controller to set the boost in every rpm range?

greetings
ric from Switzerland

PS ....doooo Mark cannot do the same for my MY98 ..... ;(
Old 28 July 2001, 05:35 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Theo,

Don't know how I missed this one. Noticed the date says 25 July posted. Must have fallen down the page quick.

Anyway back to topic. Figures look very impressive. I noticed it was more of a peaky curve but that could be because of Powerstations dyno always reading lower as opposed to Power Engineerings and because of the car jumping on the rollers or because of the graph being produced from a cleaned up photo instead of being scanned and also the hot day. The peak power is huge considering the Powerstation dyno always reads less than Power engineerings dyno and the torque is big too, again it would have read higher on Power engineerings dyno. I would have thought however that a VF23 would have kept the power going further up the rev range though, but I could be wrong as I'm not a very technical person.

Great result though. You were right when you said the chip doesn't count, it depends who the mapper is. What are the next plans for the car?

WREXY.
Old 28 July 2001, 06:59 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hey, I just noticed, not only does Theo's car have the highest hp and torque of the UK cars, there are only 2 Japanese imports that are higher than Theo. And in torque Theo's car is coming 2nd even out of the Jap cars and the car that's coming first has only 20 horses more and only 10 lbft of torque more and then there is the jumping of Theo's car on the rollers and the hotter day and running only 1.2 bar boost (usually 1.3 bar) to consider too. At first you think 283 hp that's OK but Powerstations rollers do really really read less than Power Engineerings and can put you off. You have to study it carefully to appreciate the power that has actually been produced.

Excellent stuff Theo. Way to go!!!!!!

WREXY.

PS Theo, do you have a EBC or are you using the Unichip boost controller?

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 28 July 2001).]
Old 28 July 2001, 08:48 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Hehe, Ric & Wrexy, thanks for noticing

Wrexy, we deliberatly choose to lower the boost at the high RPM. OK, it was lowered more because of the temps, but we are nowhere near the limit of the VF23.

We were thinking more about the limits of a) the engine and b)the gearbox to be honest. It would have been easy to get more "overboost" and higher torque in the midrange, but the drivetrain can only take so much.

We were (with these temps) at the limit of what the standard IC can cope with, especially higher up in the RPM. That said, I will not go for a FMIC... I would go for water spray & water injection long before the FMIC.

FWIW, I think - with all the info I have - that the PS rolling road actually OVERREADS about 5 BHP. You don't have to believe me, but I have very good reasons to come to this conclusion. And sure, it gives considerably lower numbers than the PE one. But it is probably the most accurate RR in the UK. Again, I'm *not* saying this lightly.

My car produced - give or take a few BHP - a real 280 BHP in very difficult conditions, using 1.2 bar of boost only. That can only be a compliment to Mark V....

And yes, the boost controller was the APS/Dastek one. And Ric, I'm too lazy to get the portable out, but it is mapped in increments of 1.200 RPM if I remember correctly. Of course, it interpolates the duty cycle between these RPM sites.

Oh, and the pressure is building up on Mark to take on a MY98. Who knows ? (might be more expensive though)

Theo
Old 28 July 2001, 10:38 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the info Theo. If I decide to go for the Unichip it looks like I'll have to get rid of my Blitz DSBC coz you can't program it to give less boost at high revs, unless you turn it down yourself, but if you get carried away and leave it up one day if racing someone, the engine could pop. So it looks like the Unichip boost controller is a must if going with the Unichp ECU since it can be programmmed to lower boost at high revs, for safety. If I chose the Link, I'd have to get rid of the EBC anyway again.

Thanks for pointing out the Intercooler issue too. It woke me up as you need to be logical with how much extra heat and boost you can give it, depending on weather ofcourse. And then there is the gearbox and clutch issue. So you have to know how far you want to go before you have to upgrade these things.

Sounds like you have a very nice package for your car Theo and I would say the main thing is, it's reliable. I would consider it, but maybe I would need a FMIC with our everyday +36 deg celsius days and the sun pounding us everyday all day in summer here in Greece.

WREXY.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:38 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Interesting graph.
Your peak torque is high up at 5000 odd rpm.

With the VF23 I would have thought your peak would have been at a less rpm than shown `cause it is quite a quick unit in spool up.
Are you going to try and gain the lost torque in the area 3500 to 4500?

Cheers

A