Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

SUPER CHIPS ANY GOOD?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 12:33 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you really want the car to be remapped across the board for safety as well as power, then Give Bob Rawle Developments a call. He is the man to see when it comes to safe power.
Old 31 July 2001, 08:01 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Are they any gpood or what? red a rticle in banzai saying about chipping late model cars is a no no. can you get as much punch from doing a full exhaust change, ,my car is a MY000 . Went on a track day and ciouldnt keep up wih those wretched mitsibishi evo 6, should i go for a susspnsion? help
Old 31 July 2001, 09:42 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Never chip an impreza. You can get away with a unichip but this is a different thing.

A full exhaust system will make a big difference, preferably a scoobysport on a uk car in my opinion. Dealer may allow it without affecting warranty. Wouldn't bother with a P1 back box though.
Old 31 July 2001, 10:06 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

DONT DO IT!!!

Search for previous threads - all it does is allows higher boost without sorting out the fueling / air for such higher boost

=!!! BANG!!!!

Jza
Old 31 July 2001, 11:06 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Superchips
I had one fitted to a Vauxhall Vectra - no problems what so ever - much imporved accelleratiuon and no flat spot!

Impreza Turbo - as stated above - do a search on the subject. i seem to remember that the Superchip 'fools' the system to believing that it is not developing enough boost and increasing boost to compensate. Therte have been problems witgh engines letting go ( i seem to remember)Unichip or a Prodrive PPP are a lot better bets but
a lot more money.

If your car is under warranty then it will invalidate your warranty.

Paul

Old 31 July 2001, 01:24 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone know of a Supechip blow up?

I know a guy running with one, no problems for many months now - If a boost gauge is fitted and sensible boost is run. Still can't work out the diff between this and a bleed valve though...

MB

Old 31 July 2001, 01:46 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

cost if difference between chip and bleed valve.

Still disagree over safety issue.

What is sensible boost, as described 3 to 4 psi can take some cars to 19 or 20 psi. Rather you than me mate. I'll stick to my jecs!
Old 31 July 2001, 03:06 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The only mod aside from exhaust/filter you need to keep with EVO's on track is BIG BRAKES, assuming that you then use them properly that is.
Slightly sittfer springs will also help.
CK1 has been haunting EVO drivers for a couple of years now thanks to AP's and Eibachs.

Stef.
Old 31 July 2001, 03:08 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

MB.
I know os a Superchip blow up....MINE!!
I only got it cos it was cheap, but boy do I regret it. If I knew then what I know now..
400 quid for a fcd chip and a bleed valve? Hmmmmm....

Stef.
Old 31 July 2001, 03:11 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Sadly bennetm, lots.
Old 31 July 2001, 10:44 PM
WJW
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

I have run a MY98 Wagon with a SUPERCHIP fitted (out of ignorance more than anything else), but never had any problems whatsoever. I just wonder if the warnings that you are spreading over the running of the Impreza on 'overboost' are only really applicable to those who persue their interests on the track, and therefore will have prolonged periods of time in the overboost zones. I personally only use the car for job and pleasure, and therefore have not been stressing the car too much.
Out of interest, I dyno'd the car after fitting and it gave me 276bhp@6750, and 240ish torque@4500.
Old 01 August 2001, 08:29 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

I enquired at Well Lane turbos about having a Superchip fitted and I expressed to them the concerns I'd heard about engine blow ups.

They told me that they set their max boost on the bleed valve to 16psi to maintain reliability. Apparently they've never had a problem with any Impreza they've done (unless anyone can refute this). My car is running about 13-14psi peak at the moment and kicking out 250bhp. With the chip I was told that 270 is about what to expect. Providing I keep an eye on the boost for going too high and maybe fit an air/fuel ratio meter to check I'm not running too lean, I can't see a problem.

Well Lane said that the only time there should be a problem is if you go to daft boost (18-20psi and above).

Just out of interest, what boost where you running Stef, when yours expired?

Mark, the difference (if I'm not mistaken) between a bleed valve and a chip is that the bleed valve just allows you to turn up your boost, but you still have the overboost fuel cut in place so you hit a brick wall at around 15psi (on mine). The superchip removes this overboost limit (but ALSO uses a bleed valve to up boost). So you can either fit a bleed valve on its own which can give you an extra 2-3psi or opt for the chip as well which will allow you to turn the boost up as much as you want by fiddling with the bleed valve - hence the danger element. But provided you don't fiddle with the valve once the chip installation is done and it's all checked out as fuelling ok -what can go wrong?

Rich